Applied mathematics and physics major.

In summary, the speaker is currently a double major in applied mathematics and physics, unsure of their career options after graduation. They are considering going to grad school for engineering, citing Tony Stark as a role model, or applied physics. They also have an interest in starting a tech/energy company. They are curious about the distinction between applied physics and engineering, and mention the Applied Research Lab at UT as a resource.
PhysicsKid0123
I'm currently a double major in applied mathematics and physics, but I'm not exactly sure what I will be doing after I graduate. I will graduate in about 2 more years give or take, and I just started my 4th year in college (I transferred into UT so things are taking longer but this was my dream). What are my options after I graduate with those two degrees? I chose these degrees because they are of high interest to me and I believe they can be applied to many different fields or careers. However, finding a job might seem difficult since many employees do not explicitly go looking for math and/or physics majors. In light of this, I've been considering going to grad school for engineering and I wanted to know if it was feasible to get into one with an applied mathematics and physics degree (preferably here at UT as well). Not to mention that I really like engineering; Tony Stark has always been a role model for me. Anyways, if that won't work out, I'll probably go to grad school for applied physics. Hopefully after getting a masters, I'd like to start a tech/energy company. So yeah I didn't really organize my thought very well but that is what I would like to do. However, if this proves to be difficult I'd like to know if I would be able to find a job somewhere after college.

P.s. Who can highlight and distinguish the fields in applied physics and engineering. I know what engineering is, what exactly do you do in applied physics?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is an applied mathematics and physics major?

An applied mathematics and physics major is a field of study that combines principles of mathematics and physics to solve real-world problems and develop practical solutions. It involves the application of mathematical and physical theories and techniques to various fields, such as engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. What skills are required for an applied mathematics and physics major?

To excel in an applied mathematics and physics major, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a curiosity for understanding how things work. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming and data analysis can be beneficial.

3. What career opportunities are available for those with an applied mathematics and physics major?

Graduates with an applied mathematics and physics major have a wide range of career options, including roles in research and development, data analysis, engineering, finance, and teaching. They can work in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and technology, among others.

4. What is the difference between an applied mathematics and physics major and a pure mathematics or physics major?

An applied mathematics and physics major focuses on the practical application of mathematical and physical theories to real-world problems, while pure mathematics and physics majors focus more on theoretical concepts and research. Applied mathematics and physics majors also tend to have a more interdisciplinary approach, incorporating principles from other fields.

5. What are some key courses in an applied mathematics and physics major?

Some common courses in an applied mathematics and physics major include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical methods, and computer programming. Students may also have the opportunity to take courses in specialized areas such as fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and mathematical modeling.