1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Mathematics

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

What are different areas of study in Applied Mathematics?

That's what I'm planning to do in college but I'm trying to figure out which area I'm going to focus on.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2
    The field is huge. A few of the bigger subdisciplines include

Numerical Analysis
    PDE
    Optimization
    Network Theory
    Applied Probability

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I see. Which is the more popular one?

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4
    dont worry about specalizing until you have taken the standard maths for beginning undergraduates (various calc classes, linear algebra, etc)

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I already took those classes in a nearby junior college.

so when I hit the university after high school i'd probably be jumping in right into the major requirements.

7. Apr 1, 2009 #6

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Also, which specialization offers more opportunities outside research?

8. Apr 1, 2009 #7
    Each of these areas is huge in both academic research and industry application. For many positions a masters or phd is necessary, so you may not want to specialize until late undergrad or graduate school, should you decide to do that.

I would recommend studying real analysis and numerical linear algebra next.

9. Apr 1, 2009 #8

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I heard real analysis is a hardcore math class. But I'm looking into getting a book and self-studying while I'm still not in college.

Meanwhile, "numerical" linear algebra? What's the difference between regular linear algebra and numerical linear algebra? I already took the linear algebra course offered in the community college so I'm just wondering...

EDIT: Nevermind about the numerical linear alg. question. I did a search on google and found the difference.

What are good institutions/universities for applied mathematics? both undergrad and grad.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  10. Apr 1, 2009 #9
    Check out Gilbert Strang's linear algebra video lectures (first lecture here) at the MIT OCW site online. It's not numerical linear algebra, but it is probably a more advanced level than you have already seen, and probably a prequisite for understanding numerical linear algebra. Plus the lectures are great. If you already know linear algebra at that level, then I recomment picking up Numerical Linear Algebra by Trefethen and Bau,
    http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/nick.trefethen/text.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Apr 1, 2009 #10

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

What are good institutions/universities for applied mathematics? both undergrad and grad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook