Applied physics of current probe / generator clamps

In summary: The current-generator-clamp.2. The current-loop-clamp-probe.3. The power-cable.4. The transient-voltage-generator.In summary, the current transformer converts an alternating current into a direct current.
JaneHall89
Im studying Maxwell's equations in a part time degree and I starting thinking in job about a particular task we perform...

The situation

In work we have a power cable and attach two items to it. One current-clamp-loop-generator (ferrite core wound N turns with wire) and one current-loop-clamp-probe are placed anywhere on the wire but so they are spaced 50cm apart. Picture the power cable running through two circular loops (clamps)

The current generator clamp is connected to a transient voltage generator and we trigger a high frequency voltage to it, the current clamp probe is attached to a Oscilloscope to measure the induced current on the power cable that is situated 50cm away from the current generator clamp.

So my thinking is the following...

1. The high frequency transient voltage from the transient voltage generator induces an alternating current along the wires which are wrapped around the ferrite core of the current-generator-clamp. The Alternating current then produces an alternating magnetic field.

2. By using the right hand rule and curling my fingers around the loop of the clamp the alternating magnetic field points along the central axis of the loop parallel or anti parallel to the power cable.

3. The alternating magnetic field changes the flux running parallel or anti parallel to the wire (inside it) and thus produces a voltage that will drive an induced current.

4. That induced current flows down the power cable from the position of the current clamp generator to the current clamp probe. The alternating current produces an alternating magnetic field with a flux that changes inside the current clamp probe, this induces voltages and drives a current that is measured on the oscilloscope.

Help
Can someone please assist with my explanation and in the quote place a 1,2,3 or 4 to represent one of the laws of maxwell equations that applies at that situation. I've been struggling all day to get the equations to fit my explanation...

Physics news on Phys.org
JaneHall89 said:
Im studying Maxwell's equations in a part time degree and I starting thinking in job about a particular task we perform...

The situation

In work we have a power cable and attach two items to it. One current-clamp-loop-generator (ferrite core wound N turns with wire) and one current-loop-clamp-probe are placed anywhere on the wire but so they are spaced 50cm apart. Picture the power cable running through two circular loops (clamps)

The current generator clamp is connected to a transient voltage generator and we trigger a high frequency voltage to it, the current clamp probe is attached to a Oscilloscope to measure the induced current on the power cable that is situated 50cm away from the current generator clamp.

So my thinking is the following...

1. The high frequency transient voltage from the transient voltage generator induces an alternating current along the wires which are wrapped around the ferrite core of the current-generator-clamp. The Alternating current then produces an alternating magnetic field.

2. By using the right hand rule and curling my fingers around the loop of the clamp the alternating magnetic field points along the central axis of the loop parallel or anti parallel to the power cable.

3. The alternating magnetic field changes the flux running parallel or anti parallel to the wire (inside it) and thus produces a voltage that will drive an induced current.

4. That induced current flows down the power cable from the position of the current clamp generator to the current clamp probe. The alternating current produces an alternating magnetic field with a flux that changes inside the current clamp probe, this induces voltages and drives a current that is measured on the oscilloscope.

Help
Can someone please assist with my explanation and in the quote place a 1,2,3 or 4 to represent one of the laws of maxwell equations that applies at that situation. I've been struggling all day to get the equations to fit my explanation...
It's probably just better to think of them as transformers. When you run the power conductor through the core once, that forms a 1-turn primary or secondary on the core (including the return path for the conductor). Then you can just use your traditional transformer equations for an N:1 transformer to figure out how it works. :smile:

berkeman said:
It's probably just better to think of them as transformers. When you run the power conductor through the core once, that forms a 1-turn primary or secondary on the core (including the return path for the conductor). Then you can just use your traditional transformer equations for an N:1 transformer to figure out how it works. :smile:
I am not clear what you mean here. Would you be able to explain this differently please?

JaneHall89 said:
I am not clear what you mean here. Would you be able to explain this differently please?
Sure. Have a look at this wikipedia page that explains how current transformers work (N:1 transformers):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_transformer

The primary in this case is the single turn of the conductor through the CT core, with the N-turn Secondary connected to a measuring circuit.

The drive circuit you describe would work in a similar way, but with the waveform generator connected to the N-turn Primary side of a CT to drive the waveform into the single turn Secondary.

1. What is the purpose of a current probe/generator clamp?

A current probe/generator clamp is a device used to measure and monitor electrical current flow in a circuit. It is commonly used in various applications such as power quality analysis, troubleshooting electrical systems, and testing electronic devices.

2. How does a current probe/generator clamp work?

A current probe/generator clamp works by using a magnetic core that surrounds the conductor carrying the electrical current. As the current passes through the conductor, it creates a magnetic field. The clamp picks up this magnetic field and converts it into an electrical signal that can be measured by a meter or oscilloscope.

3. What are the benefits of using a current probe/generator clamp?

One of the main benefits of using a current probe/generator clamp is its non-invasive nature. It does not require the breaking or disconnecting of the circuit, making it a safe and convenient option for measuring current. It also provides accurate and reliable measurements without affecting the circuit's performance.

4. Are there different types of current probe/generator clamps available?

Yes, there are different types of current probe/generator clamps available, each with its own specific features and applications. Some common types include Hall effect clamps, Rogowski coils, and iron core clamps. It is important to choose the right type of clamp for the specific application to ensure accurate measurements.

5. What are some common uses for current probe/generator clamps?

Current probe/generator clamps have a wide range of applications in various industries. Some common uses include power quality analysis, motor and transformer testing, energy efficiency audits, and troubleshooting electrical systems. They are also commonly used in research and development for testing and evaluating electronic devices and components.