1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apply the mean value theorem for integrals

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screenshot2012-02-01at22839PM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

My book is not explaining very well the steps at solving these problems. There is a step that I'm missing

step 1. find 1/(b-a) easy
    step 2. find the antiderivative of 4 - x, easy, x^2/2
    step 3. plug in what the result of the antiderivative is for b and a, subtract b from a
    step 4. this is the step I'm missing. the books shows that I'm supposed to multiply 4 by b - a. why? what is this? I need to know what mathematical terminology this is so that i can do these problems in the future
    step 5. subtract step 4 from step 3. why? what mathematical terminology is this.
    step 6. multiply step 1 by step 5, I understand that.

I'm not yet able to read the notation and the book is not helping.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, 4x- x^2/2

The anti-derivative of 4, with respect to x, is 4x. That is evaluated between the limits of integration, b and a. You can do it as either 4b- 4a or 4(b- a). They are equal by the "distributive law".

No, they are not subtracting step 4 from step 3. They are simply completing the calculation indicated in step 4. There are, however, different ways of doing that step. You could have calculated that 4(3)= 12, and [itex]3^2/2= 9/2[/itex] and subtract: 12- 9/2= 24/2- 9/2= 15/2.
    Then multiply by the leading 1/3: (1/3)(15/2)= 5/2.

Or, using the distributive law, go ahead and multiply by the 1/3 first: (1/3)(4(3)- 3^2/2)= (1/3)(4(3))- (1/3)(3^2)/2. That 1/3 will cancel a 3 in eacy term: it is equal to 4- 3/2= 8/2- 3/2= 5/2 again.

The distributive law: a(b+ c)= ab+ ac.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    Ok, thanks, I incorrectly calculated the antiderivative of 4 - x as (x^2)/2, it's (4x - x^2)/2.

Thanks for your help

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4
    All that's happened here is an integral
    Here are some properties of integrals that you should know that will also help you understand your problem

Let a be a constant, f(x) be some function of x, and F(x) be it's anti-derivative

1. [itex]\int (a \pm f(x))dx = \int a dx \pm \int f(x) dx[/itex]

2. [itex]\int a f(x) dx = a \int f(x) dx[/itex]

3. [itex]\int 1 dx = x[/itex]

4. [itex]\int_a ^b f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)[/itex]

Now I shall show you which of these properties we shall use in our problem;

[itex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_a ^b f(x) fx = \frac{1}{b-a} \int_a ^b (4-x)dx [/itex]

I shall use property 1. now

[itex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_a ^b (4-x)dx [/itex] = \frac{1}{b-a}( \int_a ^b 4 dx - \int_a ^b x dx[/itex]

I shall now use property 2. on the first term

[itex] \frac{1}{b-a}( \int_a ^b 4 dx - \int_a ^b x dx = \frac{1}{b-a} ( 4 \int _a ^b 1 dx - \int_a ^b x dx)[/itex]

Due to property 3, the anti-derivative of 1 is x (or in the terms of property 4. if f(x)=1 then F(x) = x)
    And using property 4 to evaluate the definite integrals

[itex]\frac{1}{b-a} ( 4 \int _a ^b 1 dx - \int_a ^b x dx) = \frac{1}{b-a} ( 4(b-a) -( \frac{b^2}{2} -\frac{a^2}{2} ))[/itex]

Substituting in our values for a and b we get

[itex] \frac{1}{b-a} ( 4(b-a) -( \frac{b^2}{2} -\frac{a^2}{2} )) = \frac{1}{3} ( 4(3) -\frac{3^2}{2}) = 4 - \frac{3}{2} = \frac{5}{2}[/itex]

Has this helped at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook