Applying to Aerospace Grad School as a Physics Major

In summary, the speaker is a junior undergraduate majoring in Physics/Math who has recently become more interested in the commercial space industry and wants to pursue a career in Aerospace. They plan to get an MS in Aerospace Engineering, but have limited experience and no internships in the field. They are considering doing research in Cosmology but are unsure if it will strengthen their graduate school application. They are seeking advice on how to get into a well-ranked Aerospace grad school and are told to take more classes in aerospace engineering.
hylander4
Hello,

I'm currently a junior undergraduate majoring in Physics/Math at a well ranked university. I've recently decided that I'm way more excited by the new commercial space industry than I am by pretty much anything in frontier physics (although I find many topics in frontier physics really interesting). Because of this, I've decided that I want to enter the Aerospace industry. I figure that the easiest way to do this is to get an MS in Aerospace Engineering first.

Here are my issues:

I've taken one Aerospace Engineering course as an undergraduate. I plan to take two more before I graduate. Still, that's pretty limited Aerospace experience.

I have absolutely zero experience in the Aerospace industry, and because of this I doubt that I'll have access to any high quality Aerospace internship experiences.

I have an opportunity to do some pretty sweet experimental Cosmology research this summer, but I'm not sure if that type of research would strengthen my graduate school application.

Is there anything I can do to get into a well ranked Aerospace grad school?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Start taking classes in aerospace engineering.

FAQ: Applying to Aerospace Grad School as a Physics Major

1. What are the typical requirements for applying to aerospace grad school as a physics major?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the school, but most programs will require applicants to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and engineering. They may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. Is it necessary to have a degree in aerospace engineering to be accepted into a graduate program?

No, it is not necessary to have a degree in aerospace engineering to be accepted into a graduate program. Many schools welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds, including physics, mathematics, and other engineering fields.

3. What can I expect to learn in an aerospace grad program as a physics major?

In an aerospace grad program, you can expect to learn about the fundamental principles of aerospace engineering, including aerodynamics, propulsion, flight mechanics, and space systems. You may also have the opportunity to specialize in a particular area of interest, such as spacecraft design or computational fluid dynamics.

4. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can make me a more competitive applicant for an aerospace grad program as a physics major?

Having a strong background in physics and mathematics is essential, but there are other skills and experiences that can make you a more competitive applicant. These may include research experience, internships or co-ops in the aerospace industry, and involvement in relevant extracurricular activities such as robotics or aeronautics clubs.

5. Can I pursue a career in the aerospace industry with a graduate degree in physics?

Yes, a graduate degree in physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in the aerospace industry. Many physics majors go on to work in research and development roles for companies and government agencies, designing and testing new aerospace technologies. You may also have the opportunity to work on space missions or contribute to the development of advanced aircraft.