Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximate function

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    I want to have the following function approximated (in elementary functions) within a error of 1e-6:

[tex] (x^2+a^2)^{1/4}\ \forall x\ \in [-1,1],\ a\in \mathbb{R} [/tex]

If I use Legendre polynomials I have to use a lot to get convergence (since if I use an estimate of the error the error decreases with n^3/2 with n the number of polynomials). So I suppose that I can use taylor polynomials, right? But taylored around 0 the polynomials tends to have a large error moving away from zero. So my idea is to use several taylor polynomials for certain intervals. Is this an idea or do I have to do something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

From the point of view of computer programming, the most efficient approximations of commonly encountered functions are approximations by rational functions ( ratios of polynomials). For example, if you look at the famous book by Abramawitz and Stegun, you find that sort of approximation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook