Approximating (x^2+a^2)^(1/4) w/ Error < 1e-6

In summary, the conversation discusses approximating a function in elementary functions with an error of 1e-6. The speaker suggests using Legendre polynomials, but notes that the error decreases slowly and proposes using Taylor polynomials instead. However, they are concerned about the large error when the polynomials are taylored around 0. The other person suggests using rational functions for more efficient approximations.
dirk_mec1
I want to have the following function approximated (in elementary functions) within a error of 1e-6:

[tex] (x^2+a^2)^{1/4}\ \forall x\ \in [-1,1],\ a\in \mathbb{R} [/tex]If I use Legendre polynomials I have to use a lot to get convergence (since if I use an estimate of the error the error decreases with n^3/2 with n the number of polynomials). So I suppose that I can use taylor polynomials, right? But taylored around 0 the polynomials tends to have a large error moving away from zero. So my idea is to use several taylor polynomials for certain intervals. Is this an idea or do I have to do something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the point of view of computer programming, the most efficient approximations of commonly encountered functions are approximations by rational functions ( ratios of polynomials). For example, if you look at the famous book by Abramawitz and Stegun, you find that sort of approximation.

1. What is the purpose of approximating (x^2+a^2)^(1/4)?

The purpose of approximating (x^2+a^2)^(1/4) is to find an estimated value for the fourth root of the sum of x squared and a squared, with an error of less than 1e-6. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How is the error of less than 1e-6 achieved in the approximation?

The error of less than 1e-6 is achieved by using a mathematical method called Taylor series expansion. This method involves using a series of polynomial terms to approximate the value of (x^2+a^2)^(1/4), with each term adding more precision to the approximation.

3. What are the limitations of this approximation?

One limitation of this approximation is that it is only accurate for small values of x and a. As the values of x and a increase, the error in the approximation also increases. Additionally, this approximation is only valid for real numbers, as imaginary numbers cannot be raised to a fractional power.

4. Can this approximation be used for any other mathematical expressions?

Yes, this method of approximating using Taylor series expansion can be applied to other mathematical expressions as well. However, the specific terms and coefficients used in the approximation will vary depending on the expression being approximated.

5. How is this approximation useful in scientific research?

This approximation can be useful in various scientific research as it allows for a quick and accurate estimation of (x^2+a^2)^(1/4). This can be particularly helpful in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics, where precise calculations are often necessary.