1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation a cone

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    you are given a contour map of a hill from which you are to approximate a cone and hence find volume.
    each contour is an ellipse

my question: does centreing the ellipses effect the volume. im pretty sure it doesnt but i want to verify

also. if i created 4 linear lines from the centered contour map, could i find the volume of the cone and how.

or if you have a better idea of how to approximate a cone that would help.
    please and thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi brandy! :smile:

That's right: the volume of a cone depends only on the height and the cross-section-area …

it doesn't matter whether the cone is "upright", you can move the vertex around without changing the volume, so long as you keep it at the same height. :wink:

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    i dont think u get what i mean.
    i have 6 ellipses separated by 5 metres in height. they get progressivly smaller (as it is a hill) and they are not centred, (ie the origin is not the same for all the ellipses).
    even when they are centred they dont form a perfect elliptical cone.

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I thought …

I don't think you're fully grasping the concept of "approximation" …

of course they won't form a perfect elliptical cone … that's what an approximation is …

but you can slide the horizontal "slices" around without changing the total volume.

In other words: centreing the ellipses does not affect the volume. :wink:

6. Apr 29, 2009 #5
    its just the upright thing sort of threw me.
    i thought you were saying that the volume is dependant on the orientation of the shape (grade 3 or 4 maths)
    but on retrospect, if i was that dumb and wasnt sure of that, why would i be approximating the volume of a cone, this is at least grade 9 maths.
    ok. thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook