Approximating a Cone: Find Volume, Centering Effects & Linear Lines

In summary, when approximating the volume of a cone using a contour map, the centering of the ellipses does not affect the volume. The volume of a cone only depends on the height and cross-sectional area. The cone does not have to be perfectly elliptical, as approximation allows for some variation in shape. The orientation of the cone also does not affect the volume, as long as the height remains the same. Centering the ellipses is not necessary for finding the volume of the cone.
brandy
you are given a contour map of a hill from which you are to approximate a cone and hence find volume.
each contour is an ellipse

my question: does centreing the ellipses effect the volume. I am pretty sure it doesn't but i want to verify

also. if i created 4 linear lines from the centered contour map, could i find the volume of the cone and how.

or if you have a better idea of how to approximate a cone that would help.
please and thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
brandy said:
my question: does centreing the ellipses effect the volume. I am pretty sure it doesn't but i want to verify

Hi brandy! :smile:

That's right: the volume of a cone depends only on the height and the cross-section-area …

it doesn't matter whether the cone is "upright", you can move the vertex around without changing the volume, so long as you keep it at the same height. :wink:

i don't think u get what i mean.
i have 6 ellipses separated by 5 metres in height. they get progressivly smaller (as it is a hill) and they are not centred, (ie the origin is not the same for all the ellipses).
even when they are centred they don't form a perfect elliptical cone.

brandy said:
i don't think u get what i mean.
i have 6 ellipses separated by 5 metres in height. they get progressivly smaller (as it is a hill) and they are not centred, (ie the origin is not the same for all the ellipses).
even when they are centred they don't form a perfect elliptical cone.

That's what I thought …

I don't think you're fully grasping the concept of "approximation" …

of course they won't form a perfect elliptical cone … that's what an approximation is …

but you can slide the horizontal "slices" around without changing the total volume.

In other words: centreing the ellipses does not affect the volume. :wink:

its just the upright thing sort of threw me.
i thought you were saying that the volume is dependant on the orientation of the shape (grade 3 or 4 maths)
but on retrospect, if i was that dumb and wasnt sure of that, why would i be approximating the volume of a cone, this is at least grade 9 maths.
ok. thanks.

What is a cone?

A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape that has a circular base and tapers to a point, resembling a party hat.

How do you find the volume of a cone?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone is V = 1/3πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

How do centering effects impact the approximation of a cone?

Centering effects refer to how the cone is positioned or centered within the measurement or calculation. If the cone is not centered properly, it can affect the accuracy of the approximation.

What are linear lines and how do they relate to approximating a cone?

Linear lines refer to the straight lines that make up the sides of a cone. When approximating a cone, it is important to consider the slope of these lines in order to accurately calculate the volume.

How can approximating a cone be useful in scientific research?

Approximating a cone can be useful in various fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It allows for the estimation of volumes in real-life objects and can aid in the design and analysis of experiments and structures.