1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length trig vector problem

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    I need help with this homework problem:

Making a turn, a jetliner flies 2.1km on a circular path of radius 3.4km. Through what angle does it turn?

Any ideas that would help me in doing it??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    *hint* arc length in trig.
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Why don't you try the forum specifically for homework, you will probably get more help there. :smile:
  5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    Draw a diagram.
  6. Jan 26, 2008 #5
    The formula for calculating the circumference [tex]\pi d[/tex]. You have the radius which is half the diametre, so in this case the diametre is 6.8. Now plug those figures into the formula. It should look like this...

[tex]\pi 6.8 = 21.35[/tex]

Now that you have the total circumference, you want to find out what fraction of the circumference the plane travels. I would do this by trying to find what 1 degree is, so I would go

Now that you have what 1 degree is in relation to a length, you simply multiply

This will give you the angle in which the plane has travelled. It should be around 36 degrees but I will let you finish it off.

If you are having any trouble just say :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?