Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Arc length trig vector problem

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    I need help with this homework problem:

Making a turn, a jetliner flies 2.1km on a circular path of radius 3.4km. Through what angle does it turn?

Any ideas that would help me in doing it??

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    *hint* arc length in trig.

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Why don't you try the forum specifically for homework, you will probably get more help there. :smile:

5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    Draw a diagram.

6. Jan 26, 2008 #5
    The formula for calculating the circumference [tex]\pi d[/tex]. You have the radius which is half the diametre, so in this case the diametre is 6.8. Now plug those figures into the formula. It should look like this...

[tex]\pi 6.8 = 21.35[/tex]

Now that you have the total circumference, you want to find out what fraction of the circumference the plane travels. I would do this by trying to find what 1 degree is, so I would go

[tex]\frac{360}{21.35}[/tex]

Now that you have what 1 degree is in relation to a length, you simply multiply

[tex]\frac{360}{21.35}2.1[/tex]

This will give you the angle in which the plane has travelled. It should be around 36 degrees but I will let you finish it off.

If you are having any trouble just say :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook