Arcing in a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor

• Thread starter The_Lobster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, constant-charge capacitor microphones use a parallel-plate capacitor with a series resistor and DC source to provide polarising voltage. The distance between the parallel plates is often around 20 micrometers, which could potentially cause arcing due to the polarising voltage. However, filling the inner space with an inert gas may raise the arc-over voltage enough to prevent this issue. Further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand this concept.
The_Lobster
I'm reading about constant-charge capacitor microphones, and they are essentially made up of a parallel-plate capacitor (one plate fixed, the other moving to sound pressure), in a circuit with a series resistor and DC source to provide polarising voltage.

The circuit is basically an RC filter, with a cut-off frequency down to 10-20Hz (so from f = 1/2piRC it requires a large R if C is small). The polarising voltage from the DC source is often around 48V, but can be as large as 200V for some microphones.

My question now is: The distance between the parallel plates in the capacitor is often around 20 micrometers. Now, if the dielectric strength of dry air is 3*10^6 V/m, there should be arcing at 3*10^6 V/m * 20 * 10^-6 m = 60 V. So from my theory it seems that most of these mics should arc due to the polarising voltage, just by turning them on! Clearly I must have a gap in my understanding some place?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The_Lobster said:
I'm reading about constant-charge capacitor microphones, and they are essentially made up of a parallel-plate capacitor (one plate fixed, the other moving to sound pressure), in a circuit with a series resistor and DC source to provide polarising voltage.

The circuit is basically an RC filter, with a cut-off frequency down to 10-20Hz (so from f = 1/2piRC it requires a large R if C is small). The polarising voltage from the DC source is often around 48V, but can be as large as 200V for some microphones.

My question now is: The distance between the parallel plates in the capacitor is often around 20 micrometers. Now, if the dielectric strength of dry air is 3*10^6 V/m, there should be arcing at 3*10^6 V/m * 20 * 10^-6 m = 60 V. So from my theory it seems that most of these mics should arc due to the polarising voltage, just by turning them on! Clearly I must have a gap in my understanding some place?

Thanks!

That's a good question! I don't think the inner space could be filled with partial vacuum (to take advantage of the Paschen curve) because that would inhibit the movement of the flexible plate. But what if it were filled with an inert gas? Would that raise the arc-over voltage enough?

1. What is arcing in a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor?

Arcing in a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor is the phenomenon where an electrical discharge or spark occurs between the two plates of the capacitor, due to a high voltage difference. This can lead to damage of the capacitor and can also be a safety hazard.

2. What causes arcing in a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor?

Arcing is caused by a breakdown of the dielectric material between the two plates of the capacitor, which is usually air. This can occur when the voltage between the plates exceeds the breakdown voltage of air, creating a conductive path for the current to flow.

3. How can arcing be prevented in a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor?

Arcing can be prevented by choosing a capacitor with a higher breakdown voltage, reducing the voltage difference between the plates, or using a different dielectric material between the plates. It is also important to ensure that the capacitor is properly designed and installed in the circuit.

4. What are the consequences of arcing in a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor?

Arcing can lead to damage of the capacitor, as well as other components in the circuit. It can also cause disruptions in the circuit's operation and may pose a safety hazard if the spark is large enough. In extreme cases, arcing can result in a fire or explosion.

5. How can arcing in a parallel-plate air-filled capacitor be detected?

Arcing can be detected by observing any sparks or flashes between the plates of the capacitor, or by measuring a sudden increase in voltage or current in the circuit. It can also be detected through regular maintenance and inspection of the capacitor for any signs of damage or wear.