Are any tangents to the graph f(x)=x^2-3x horizontal?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding tangents to the graph f(x)=x^2-3x and using a shortcut formula to do so, instead of using limits. It is also mentioned that the derivative must equal 0 for the tangent line to be horizontal.
fiziksfun
"At what points, if any, are the tangents to the graph f(x)=x^2-3x horizontal?"

I know how to figure this out using a graphing calculator and using the 'short-cut' (nx^n-1), but I can't do it using limits. Help!

I'd like to use the equation lim x->a = f(x) - f(a) / x - a

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
why would you do it like that? one yields the other. just use the "shortcut"

As ice109 said, once you have worked out the general formula from the definition, you can use that formula and not have to go back to the definition every time! That's the whole point of the formula (which you call a "shortcut").

However, since you ask, it's not particularly difficult: f(x)= x^2- 3x and f(a)= a^2- 3a.
f(x)- f(a)= x^2- 3x- a^2+ 3a= (x^2- a^2)- (3x-3a)= (x-a)(x+a)- 3(x-a). Now, when you divide that by x-a, what do you get? What is the limit of that as x goes to a?

I assume you know that "tangent line horizontal" means that the derivative must be 0.

What is a tangent to a graph?

A tangent to a graph is a straight line that touches the curve of the graph at only one point, and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

Can a tangent to the graph f(x)=x^2-3x be horizontal?

Yes, a tangent to the graph f(x)=x^2-3x can be horizontal if it touches the curve at a point where the slope of the curve is 0. This would occur at the vertex of the parabola where the slope is 0.

How do you determine if a tangent to a graph is horizontal?

To determine if a tangent to a graph is horizontal, you need to find the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. If the derivative is 0 at a point, then the tangent to the graph at that point is horizontal.

Are there any horizontal tangents to the graph f(x)=x^2-3x?

Yes, there are two horizontal tangents to the graph f(x)=x^2-3x. One at the vertex where x=3/2 and another at the point where x=-3/2.

What is the significance of a horizontal tangent to a graph?

A horizontal tangent to a graph indicates that the slope of the curve at that point is 0, which means the function is not changing. This can represent a maximum or minimum point on the graph, or a point of inflection where the curve changes direction.