Are clock radios particularly frangible?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary, the conversation revolved around the malfunctioning of two clock radios in the bedroom and the possible causes for their failure. The individual mentioned working on the electrical system in the bedroom and a potential short circuit causing a surge that may have affected the clock radios. They also discussed the vulnerability of clock radios and the possibility of them being manufactured in China. The conversation ended with a discussion on the abuse and eventual demise of clock radios.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
The two clock radios in our bedroom both kaffed it recently. It is entirely possible that they both kaffed it at the same time. I did not notice.

At first, I thought maybe the clock radios had simply been drained of power too long - when I deliberately had that circuit off for an extended duration - and that had caused them to .. I dunno... fail-to-thrive? (Do clock radios need companionship? Has anyone heard of a clock radio pulling all its feathers out?)

I have been working on the electrical system in my bedroom over the month as part of a reno, and once, I shorted a line with a pair of wire strippers, popping a breaker. There were other things on that same breaker, including several lights, my TV and the cable box, none of which suffered any ill effects.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe the radios were too fragile to handle the short?

Yes, that's the first, most obvious conclusion. I guess the other devices just happened to not fry.

Would a short in a line running off the same breaker but not directly attached to the radios cause a surge?

I guess that would depend on whether they were in series or parallel. Is it possible that all of the appliances had ground plugs but the radios didn't?

Borg said:
I guess that would depend on whether they were in series or parallel. Is it possible that all of the appliances had ground plugs but the radios didn't?
That is possible. The radios are definitely 2 prong, whereas the TV is 3 prong. But the cable box is 2 prong as well, though it has a wall-wart (transformer).

Not sure how they could be in series. They're plugged into an an outlet. The TV, cable box and one radio are both on a 3-prong extension cord from the outlet. The other radio is directly from the outlet.

The transformer would tend to protect slightly on a surge. You might want to open the radios. They sometimes have a simple fuse that you can replace.

Borg said:
The transformer would tend to protect slightly on a surge. You might want to open the radios. They sometimes have a simple fuse that you can replace.
Oh. Right. Thanks. I'll check that out before replacing them.

I always forget the obvious stuff. :sorry:

Likes Borg
DaveC426913 said:
Oh. Right. Thanks. I'll check that out before replacing them.

I always forget the obvious stuff. :sorry:
So do I - even for stuff that I work with daily. :confused:

Well poop. 110V is wired directly to the transformer.

And it sure looks like nothing was supposed to be accessed easily. I'd have to disassemble most of the mechanical components and controls to get at anything - including the transformer.

Shorting the line would cause transients when the breaker opened that can blow things out. Many devices have surge protectors. I guess your radios didn't.

I wonder if that's what's wrong with the dining room fan as well. Hasn't worked since I started this.
It's got a wireless remote (not sure what broadcast method it uses). I hope it's just a fuse and not the electronics...

An intermediate arcing fault (or arcing open circuit) in your house can generate surges. Some electronic gadgets are overly vulnerable to that.

Of course, an arcing fault implies an incipient fire, so pay attention and search for it. Also be on the alert for any light flicker, even a single flick.

anorlunda said:
An intermediate arcing fault (or arcing open circuit)
Would that be related to the big blue flash in my face, followed by a whole bunch of pitch black, when I cut into the 18/2 wire with my wire strippers? :woot:

Would it be safe to guess that the place they were manufactured was China?

DaveC426913 said:
...when I cut into the 18/2 wire...

18-2?!?

Your clock radios were on a fire alarm circuit?

Sorry, more like 14/2.

I think is is safe to assume that clock radios are very sensitive. They have been abused from the start of their lives. Yelled and cursed at for doing their job. Slapped around and knocked from their resting place. It is not at all surprising that they would just give up and die.

I repair electronic things and they often confide in me the nature of their abuse. Sad really...

Sorry for being such a joker...lol

Billy

Likes DaveC426913
Clock radios are people too.

Thanks Borg,

What a collection of electrical stuff ! Very nice photos. I may ask Don if I can put one or two on my web site.

OH...BTW..please try to be kind to the clock radios...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Other than the occasional short circuit surge, I am very kind to my clock radios. Not only do I not beat them to death in the morning, I don't even turn them off. I wake to quiet music and just let it play. It shuts off after 90 minutes. That''s well above the daily recommended exercise quota for domestic CRs. And if quiet music is not enough to wake me, then I'm not getting enough sleep.

DaveC426913 said:
Clock radios are people too.

Errr...

Recalling the number of clock radios which have met their unpleasant end at my hands, fists, um... the drownings...

The forum is anonymous yes?

All modern low-end consumer electronics is cheap and "frangible" because it's cheaply made. It's a feature that allows it to be cheap.

Indeed it might be the most successful applied case of the concept of "fixing" a bug by turning it into a feature.

krater said:
Errr...

Recalling the number of clock radios which have met their unpleasant end at my hands, fists, um... the drownings...

The forum is anonymous yes?
The drownings.

God. I'd forgotten about the drownings.

:nb)

According to me, a part of the clock circuit ic or it was nothing that a bug?

I have known switching power supplies and high efficiency lights that fail when they are turned off momentarily, say about half a second. Some slow-start circuits use a thermistor that takes time to cool, so start-up surge-protection often needs time to recover before it can operate reliably.

Check the internal power supply front end. Particularly the fuse and the diode bridge. Everything else should be OK.

1. What does "frangible" mean in relation to clock radios?

"Frangible" refers to the ability of an object to break or shatter easily upon impact. In the context of clock radios, it means that the radio is more prone to breaking or malfunctioning compared to other types of radios.

2. Are clock radios more fragile than other types of radios?

Generally, yes. Clock radios are designed to have a compact and lightweight construction, which can make them more susceptible to damage compared to larger and more durable radios.

3. Can clock radios still function properly even if they are frangible?

Yes, clock radios can still function properly even if they are frangible, as long as they are used and handled with care. However, being frangible may make them more prone to malfunctioning or breaking, so it is important to handle them gently.

4. Are there any benefits to having a frangible clock radio?

One potential benefit of a frangible clock radio is its portability. The lightweight and compact design make it easy to bring on trips or move around the house. Additionally, some frangible clock radios may have a lower price point compared to more durable radios.

5. How can I prevent my clock radio from becoming damaged or broken?

To prevent damage or breakage, it is important to handle your clock radio with care. Avoid dropping it or exposing it to extreme temperatures. It is also recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and maintenance. If necessary, you can also opt for a more durable clock radio or invest in a protective case for your current one.