Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are density and resistivity proportional?

1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    Today while reading a book i read that conductance of a metal depends on its density. But it is also dependent on its resistivity. Does that mean that resistivity and conductivity are proportional to each other?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2
    And Also mention the relation between them

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3
    Conductivity is the inverse of resistivity. So they are inverse proportional. But this has nothing to do with density. It's just the definition.

I am afraid you may be quoting the book incorrectly, too. Where did you read this?

5. Apr 15, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1 to what Nasu said.

Silver is a better conductor than gold but gold is denser.

6. Apr 15, 2015 #5
    I read it in My Indian book of my 12th Class. It Says that conductance Depends On the "Density of the Metal." I'm not quoting that incorrectly . It is The same Thing Written In the Book.

7. Apr 15, 2015 #6
    It may be a miss-translation too. Is the original in English?
    The conductance is a property of a given resistor whereas conductivity is a material property. Like we have resistance (for a given resistor) and resistivity (for a material).

The conductivity (material property) depends on the carrier concentration which indeed depends on the atom concentration. Density too depends on the atom concentration but also on the atomic mass. So the relationship is convoluted. And not very meaningful, as was shown by the example given above by CWatters. You can (in principle) have metals with the same density but with very different conductivities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook