Are dogs' mouths really cleaner than humans'?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary, the conversation highlights the topic of gross things that dogs eat and the question of whether dogs' mouths are cleaner than cats'. The conversation includes anecdotes of dogs eating frozen cat feces and fresh diarrhea from a baby goat, as well as snacking on vomit. The conversation also touches on the potential for bite wound infections from dogs and cats.
Physics news on Phys.org
Now to the next obvious question: Are dogs' mouths cleaner than cats'?

Winter is a great time for dogs, frozen cat poopsicles are a special treat. This is relatively tame on the 'gross things dogs eat" scale though.

The second grossest thing I've seen a dog eat is fresh diarrhea off the ground from a baby goat. The grossest thing is when the dog decided to get it fresher straight from the source and headed for the goat.

shmoe said:
Winter is a great time for dogs, frozen cat poopsicles are a special treat. This is relatively tame on the 'gross things dogs eat" scale though.

The second grossest thing I've seen a dog eat is fresh diarrhea off the ground from a baby goat. The grossest thing is when the dog decided to get it fresher straight from the source and headed for the goat.
:rofl: Yes, my dogs love snacking in the cat box and vomit is a special treat.

Depends on whether you'd rather have a bite wound infection with Eikenella or Pasteurella. :biggrin:

neutrino said:
Now to the next obvious question: Are dogs' mouths cleaner than cats'?
if the dog has a cat in his mouth...

1. Are dogs' mouths really cleaner than humans'?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on several factors. However, it is a common misconception that dogs' mouths are cleaner than humans'.

2. What makes people believe that dogs' mouths are cleaner?

Many people believe that dogs' saliva has antibacterial properties, which may contribute to the idea that their mouths are cleaner. Additionally, dogs tend to lick themselves and others as a way of cleaning, which may also give the impression of cleanliness.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the belief that dogs' mouths are cleaner?

There have been some studies that suggest that certain enzymes in dog saliva may have antibacterial properties. However, these studies are limited and more research is needed to determine if this is true for all dogs.

4. Are there any risks associated with dogs' mouths that make them less clean than humans' mouths?

Yes, there are several risks associated with dogs' mouths that make them less clean than humans'. Dogs can carry bacteria, viruses, and parasites in their mouths, which can be transmitted to humans through licking or bites. Additionally, dogs may eat things off the ground or chew on objects that can introduce harmful bacteria into their mouths.

5. How can I ensure my dog's mouth is as clean as possible?

Regular dental care for your dog, including brushing their teeth and providing dental chews, can help maintain a clean mouth. It is also important to keep your dog's toys and water bowls clean to prevent the buildup of bacteria. If you are concerned about your dog's oral health, consult with a veterinarian for advice and proper dental care recommendations.