Are eyebrows ever perfectly symmetrical?

• Thread starter ElliotSmith
  • Start date
In summary: Mine are not, one is arched one is not. I always have to warn salons that I have uneven eyebrows and they have to kind of even it out.If you look at someone's face really close that face is not symmetrical. I have reconnected with some old classmates on Facebook. many of them even have one eye higher than I remember.Well... some are more symmetric than others... Astronuc's eyebrows are so asymmetric that one has moved down to his chin.False. I have played around with this. The result depends on using a photo that is taken directly from the center front, for one thing. If not, if
ElliotSmith
Is it true that no person's eyebrows are exactly in-line and symmetrical with each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Faces and bodies are not symmetrical, and eyes, nose, ears and various facial features are not exactly in-line or symmetric.

Ideally humans would have left-right symmetry, but it's very unlikely that you'll ever find someone who's perfectly symmetrical because the growth process is never 100% perfect.

As for eyebrows, I think it would be possible to get pretty good symmetry by plucking, as long as you're careful.

Well... some are more symmetric than others... Astronuc's eyebrows are so asymmetric that one has moved down to his chin.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670852/would-you-recognize-yourself-with-a-completely-symmetrical-face

Likes Silicon Waffle
I read an article recently that explained that while most people find asymmetrical faces unattractive exact symmetry is actually found as more disturbing. I guess it's all about the middle path for faces and life.

But eyebrows that are too unsymmetrical are just as unattractive.

My right brow is noticeably different and much lower than the left. I consider this to be a very unattractive feature.

ElliotSmith said:
I consider this to be a very unattractive feature.

Have you asked others what they think about it?

jack476 said:
Ideally humans would have left-right symmetry, but it's very unlikely that you'll ever find someone who's perfectly symmetrical because the growth process is never 100% perfect.

As for eyebrows, I think it would be possible to get pretty good symmetry by plucking, as long as you're careful.

That is one of those weird myths, like the golden triangle fitting into human proportions myth. If you use photoshop to create a symmetrical face you'll see what you get is super ugly and a little scary

My right brow is noticeably different and much lower than the left. I consider this to be a very unattractive feature.

Elliott Smith was ugly and he was one of the most beautiful people ever. Embrace your face :)
I have been super happy since I came terms with looking like the keeper of the bog of eternal stench in Labyrinth. I think it's only "low self esteem" if you are constantly fighting it.

Anyway, I'm being unscientific.

In my experience, most people have unsymmetrical eyebrows, as do I. I like both my eyebrows, they just happen not to match each other at all. One is square the other is roundy.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
RabbitWho said:
If you use photoshop to create a symmetrical face you'll see what you get is super ugly and a little scary
Untrue! You might in some cases, but you also might not. I have played around with this. The result depends on using a photo that is taken directly from the center front, for one thing. If not, if the subject is actually turned a bit to one side, you're liable to get something weird looking, yes. The axis of symmetry also has to be chosen carefully. People often have their head cocked slightly, and you have to correct for that. If you are careful with those two considerations, and the original face isn't obviously weird somehow, you should get a face that is perfectly acceptable as a face. It might look unusual compared to the original person, but it should be completely acceptable to someone whose never seen it before.
Elliott Smith was ugly and he was one of the most beautiful people ever. Embrace your face :)
I have been super happy since I came terms with looking like the keeper of the bog of eternal stench in Labyrinth. I think it's only "low self esteem" if you are constantly fighting it.
And there's Lyle Lovett who, for my money, has one of the most interesting faces ever. There are a zillion examples of people who had/have classically unusual faces who, never-the-less were/are very compelling to look at.

Likes Silicon Waffle
RabbitWho said:
...I like both my eyebrows, they just happen not to match each other at all. One is square the other is roundy.
:oldbiggrin: Can you at the same time draw circles with one hand and squares with another ?
I can do it, the square is on the right and the circle on the left but I can't do it in reverse. Can I conclude that thiis indicates my cerebral hemispheres are not symmetrical either ?:oldbiggrin:

?Sometimes they're not
1101550321_400.jpg

sometimes they are

Annex%20-%20Bacall,%20Lauren_05.jpg
And sometimes it's just hard for a fellow to notice.http://i2.wp.com/theworldofnails.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/elvira-058.jpg?resize=1920%2C1080

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Pythagorean
Mine are not, one is arched one is not. I always have to warn salons that I have uneven eyebrows and they have to kind of even it out.

If you look at someone's face really close that face is not symmetrical. I have reconnected with some old classmates on Facebook. many of them even have one eye higher than I remember. Old guys don't need symmetrical, but the women now in their 70's look odd with one eye obviously higher than the other. It even runs in families. There are two sisters who were real cute when they were young, and now look a bit odd with one eye up. That distance must grow with age.

When I get a haircut, I bring a protractor and only pay if they get it symmetrical.

I can tell you my eyebrows are NOT symmetrical. There's a sq cm of it on my left eyebrow that the grain runs north where the rest runs to the side as normal. The perfection of nature.

1. Are eyebrows symmetrical?

Yes, eyebrows are generally symmetrical in most individuals. This means that the eyebrows on the left and right side of the face are similar in shape, thickness, and placement.

2. Why are eyebrows not always symmetrical?

While eyebrows are naturally symmetrical, small differences in shape and placement can occur due to genetics, facial expressions, and even sleeping habits. Asymmetrical eyebrows are common and can add character to an individual's face.

3. Can eyebrows become more symmetrical?

In some cases, eyebrows can be trained to become more symmetrical through techniques such as eyebrow grooming and shaping. However, this is not always possible as the natural shape and placement of eyebrows are determined by genetics.

4. Do asymmetrical eyebrows indicate a health issue?

In most cases, asymmetrical eyebrows are not a cause for concern and are simply a natural variation. However, if you notice a sudden change in the symmetry of your eyebrows, it is best to consult a doctor to rule out any underlying health issues.

5. Can plastic surgery fix asymmetrical eyebrows?

Yes, there are surgical procedures that can be performed to correct asymmetrical eyebrows. However, these procedures should only be considered as a last resort and should be discussed with a qualified plastic surgeon.