1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are inductors so powerful?

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    hello!

are inductors so powerful that the magnetic field generated in their coils to be strong enough to resist the electron movement inside their wire?

I find that hard to accept

any hint?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking if inductors really experience a counter EMF that opposes a change in the current flowing through them? If so, then yes, they absolutely do.

4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    I am asking if that opposition to the power source that inductors, not "experience" as you say, but CREATE, stems from the creation of a magnetic field due to their coils

I am actually asking, if that magnetic field is strong enough to penetrate the metallic wires and inhibit the flow of the electrons within inductor's wires

with the same principle, if I place a magnet properly (ie. with the appropriate direction), near a wire where a current flows, I will inhibit it!

I find that strange, because I experimented with some inductors and their magnetic field was very weak and I wonder how can this magnetic field inhibit the flow of electrons inside the wires

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the coil creates the magnetic field which inhibits the change in current.

Any magnetic field will penetrate the conductor, so raw strength has little to do with this. It's more about the rate of change and the number of turns in the coil.

No, you won't. A magnetic field only creates an EMF when it is changing in strength. A static magnetic field has no effect on the current.

Not sure what to tell you. That's just the way it works. If you do the math it will be obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook