Are Limits, Integrals, & Series Equal?

• Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation shows that as the number of terms approaches infinity, the sum of f(x) multiplied by the change in x is equal to the integral of f(x) from a to b. This relationship is based on the idea that the triangle x term also approaches zero as the number of terms increases. This can be better understood by examining the Riemann Integral.
romsofia
[tex]{\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i}^{n} f(x_i)Δ x= \int^a_b f(x)\,dx= \sum_{i}^{\infty} f(x_i)Δx}[/tex]

I don't believe they are but I may be wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Updated thread, wasn't as clear before.

romsofia said:
[tex]{\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i}^{n} f(x_i)Δ x= \int^a_b f(x)\,dx= \sum_{i}^{\infty} f(x_i)Δx}[/tex]

I don't believe they are but I may be wrong.

Thanks for any help.

The key thing with this is that the "dx" (your triangle x term) also goes to zero and should also be based on your limiting term (in your case the n term).

If your triangle x term does not go to zero as the number of terms goes to infinity, then you'll get nonsensical results.

If you want a better idea of why this happens consider the fact that f'(x) = [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h as h -> 0 in the form of a limit. Now we know that h x f'(x) ~ f(x+h)-f(x). Then if you add up all these h x f'(x) terms, you get your identity you described above.

If you need more information look up information on the Riemann Integral.

Related to Are Limits, Integrals, & Series Equal?

1. What are limits, integrals, and series?

Limits, integrals, and series are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of functions. Limits determine the value of a function at a certain point, integrals calculate the area under a curve, and series sum an infinite sequence of numbers.

2. How are limits, integrals, and series related?

Limits, integrals, and series are all interconnected through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is the original function, and the integral of a derivative is the original function. This relationship shows that all three concepts are equally important in understanding the behavior of functions.

3. Can limits, integrals, and series be equal?

Yes, limits, integrals, and series can be equal in certain cases. For example, if a function is continuous and differentiable, the limit at a point will be equal to the integral over the same interval. Similarly, some series can be represented by integrals, making them equal.

4. What are some applications of limits, integrals, and series?

Limits, integrals, and series have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, limits are used to calculate instantaneous rates of change, integrals are used to calculate areas and volumes, and series are used to approximate complex functions and solve differential equations.

5. Are limits, integrals, and series difficult to understand?

The concepts of limits, integrals, and series can be challenging for some people to grasp, but with proper instruction and practice, they can be understood by most individuals. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before attempting to learn these concepts, as they build upon these fundamental principles.