Are the Eigenvalues of the Zero Ket Always Zero?

Therefore, the zero ket is not of interest in terms of physical observables. In summary, according to the eight axioms of vector spaces and the properties of scalar multiplication and operator "multiplication", the eigenvalues of the zero ket are zero and it is not of interest in relation to physical observables.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

I am wondering if I can make the sweeping generalization that the eigenvalues of the zero ket are zero. I further generalize that the zero ket is not of interest, as far as physical observables occur.

Homework Equations

the eight axioms of vector spaces.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space

(didn't feel like typing all 8 out. i already put those into my notes).

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\exists \left| 0 \right\rangle :{\rm{ }}\left| u \right\rangle + \left| 0 \right\rangle \equiv \left| u \right\rangle & & & & \left| 0 \right\rangle \equiv 0 \cdot \left| \alpha \right\rangle [/tex]

also, scalar multiplication is commutitive and compatible with operator "multiplication" (i.e., front-multiplying).

[tex]A\left| 0 \right\rangle = A(0 \cdot \left| \alpha \right\rangle ) = 0 \cdot A\left| \alpha \right\rangle = 0 \cdot a \cdot \left| \alpha \right\rangle = 0 \cdot \left| \alpha \right\rangle = \left| 0 \right\rangle [/tex]

and therefore,
[tex]A\left| \alpha \right\rangle = 0 \cdot \left| 0 \right\rangle [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Observables, not kets, have eigenvalues, so it doesn't make sense to talk about the eigenvalues of the zero ket. Also, as far as eigenvectors go, they are by definition non-zero, so again it doesn't make sense to consider the zero ket an eigenvector of an observable.

Related to Are the Eigenvalues of the Zero Ket Always Zero?

1. What are eigenvalues of the zero ket?

Eigenvalues of the zero ket refer to the values that correspond to the zero vector when the zero ket is multiplied by a matrix. They represent the scalar values that remain unchanged when multiplied by the zero ket, and are important in understanding the behavior of linear transformations.

2. How are eigenvalues of the zero ket calculated?

To calculate the eigenvalues of the zero ket, we need to solve the characteristic equation det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. The solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues of the zero ket. This process can be simplified by using methods such as diagonalization or the Cayley-Hamilton theorem.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues of the zero ket?

Eigenvalues of the zero ket are important in understanding the behavior of linear transformations. They provide information about the stretching or shrinking of vectors when multiplied by a matrix. They also help in determining whether a matrix is invertible or singular.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue of the zero ket?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues of the zero ket. In fact, the number of distinct eigenvalues of the zero ket is equal to the dimension of the matrix. However, some eigenvalues may have multiplicity, meaning they have more than one corresponding eigenvector.

5. How are eigenvalues of the zero ket used in real-world applications?

Eigenvalues of the zero ket have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. One example is in quantum mechanics, where they are used to describe the energy levels of particles. In image and signal processing, they can be used for feature extraction and noise reduction. They also have applications in data analysis, such as in principal component analysis.