Are the electrons from the wire moving?

In summary: Water is not created at the power plant and it is not destroyed. What happens is that the water in the penstock flows through the turbine, and then is returned to the river.Likewise, electrons do not flow through a wire. Electrons do not accumulate in the wire or in the power plant. Instead, the electrons in the power plant flow through the wires, and then return to the generator.In summary, when a magnet is moved among a coil, it induces a changing magnetic field which in turn induces an electric field. This electric field drives the electrons in the wire, but does not accumulate or create
scientist91
are the electrons from the wire moving? Let's say we have coil and magnet and closed circular loop and we have induced current with moving the magnet among the coil. Are the electrons from the coil only moving or also the electrons in the wire are moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another such question?

Current by definition implies a group 'moving' charges.

But yes - the conduction electrons throughout the conduction (wire) loop are moving. However, certainly not all electrons move. Most are still bound to their atoms.

Astronuc said:
Another such question?

Current by definition implies a group 'moving' charges.

But yes - the conduction electrons throughout the conduction (wire) loop are moving. However, certainly not all electrons move. Most are still bound to their atoms.
what is the thing that makes moving them? They are not affected by the magnet at all.

scientist91 said:
They are not affected by the magnet at all.

The electrons? But they are affected by the magnetic field, by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force" .

Last edited by a moderator:
scientist91 said:
what is the thing that makes moving them? They are not affected by the magnet at all.
What happens is that the changing magnetic field induces an electric field, and it is this induced electric field that drives the current. This is new physics, summarized in Faraday's law and, of course, Maxwell's equations.

Doc Al said:
What happens is that the changing magnetic field induces an electric field, and it is this induced electric field that drives the current. This is new physics, summarized in Faraday's law and, of course, Maxwell's equations.
Do u know what is electric field? Every electron and proton have its own electric field. So from the one side there is lack of electrons (+), and from the other excess of electrons (-). So when we summarize the protons electric field we have one big "positive" electric field, and when we summarize the fields of the electrons we have "negative" electric field. However, the electric field is the thing that makes the electrons attract with protons, and electrons repel with other electrons. So !?

I don't really know what you are talking about. The electric field associated with charges (like the electron and proton) is called a Coulomb electric field. But the induced electric field created by a changing magnetic field is different as it is not associated with a charge--but the field is quite real, nonetheless.

Doc Al said:
I don't really know what you are talking about. The electric field associated with charges (like the electron and proton) is called a Coulomb electric field. But the induced electric field created by a changing magnetic field is different as it is not associated with a charge--but the field is quite real, nonetheless.
It is not associated with charges? Man look, when you are moving the magnet among the coil, you "force" the electrons to go from one to another side. So from the one side there is lack of electrons (+), and from the other excess of electrons (-). Think about it. So from the + side, there are more protons, so summarize their electric fields. From the - side, there are more electrons, so summarize their electric fields. There will be created 2 bigger electric fields (electric field from side +, and electric field from side -). Summarize the two bigger electric fields! You get one bigger electric field like http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2827/untitledjl4.png"

You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like the answer, too bad!

The changing magnetic field induces an electric field--an EMF in the coil, which acts like a battery, driving a current through the closed circuit. The way the electric field is "transmitted" throughout the circuit is via small surface charges that rapidly build up on the wire.

I suspect you are not ready to understand this kind of explanation. You need to start at the beginning and build your understanding gradually.

Pick up a textbook, for crying out loud. (All of these questions you ask don't seem to be helping you.) Poke around here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/emcon.html#emcon"

You really need to find an introductory textbook, study it, and do lots of problems. Then you'll begin to see how it all fits together.

Doc Al said:
You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like the answer, too bad!

The changing magnetic field induces an electric field--an EMF in the coil, which acts like a battery, driving a current through the closed circuit. The way the electric field is "transmitted" throughout the circuit is via small surface charges that rapidly build up on the wire.

I suspect you are not ready to understand this kind of explanation. You need to start at the beginning and build your understanding gradually.

Pick up a textbook, for crying out loud. (All of these questions you ask don't seem to be helping you.) Poke around here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/emcon.html#emcon"

You really need to find an introductory textbook, study it, and do lots of problems. Then you'll begin to see how it all fits together.
You don't give me your explanation. I am asking you how do the electric field affect the electrons from the wire when they are not in any "contact" with it?

I have been so tempted for a long time to launch an 'Aviator Alert', but have held off because there's been no mention of cannon balls on strings. Can there possibly be two of them?

scientist91 ---

Just to help things out---how old are you, how many years of schooling, and what country are you from?

it may just be a language difference--thanks

scientist91 said:
You don't give me your explanation. I am asking you how do the electric field affect the electrons from the wire when they are not in any "contact" with it?
But electrons do interact with electric and magnetic fields, which permeate space.

As DocAl indicated, one really needs to pick a textbook on Electricity & Magnetism - or browse the Hyperphysics site as he suggested.

The moving the magnet among the coil, induces a time varying magnetic field, which induces electrons to flow. Charge neutrality is maintained in the wire, and there is no local accumulation of electrons.

Water flowing in pipe does not accumulate in a denser volume while being pushed or pumped. Think of the electrons like an incompressible fluid.

Pushing on one electron (in a conductor) will affect the next electron (by virtue of their electric fields) and so on and so on, so they all flow together.

Last edited:
ranger said:
He was asked this already in another thread. He speaks Macedonian.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1331817&postcount=3

That explains part of it then----I'll drop that part---

scientist91 ---

Just to help things out---how old are you, and how many years of schooling (what year of school are you in?)

Okay, now I'm just ashamed of myself. The language barrier doesn't really seem to be the problem, but I totally neglected to consider what age he/she might be. :redface:
I used to assume that everyone was 10 years old, unless told otherwise, and responded accordingly. Somewhere along the line, I got jaded. Thanks for putting me back on track, Rewebster. :smile:

1. What is the role of electrons in a wire?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that are responsible for carrying electric current through a wire. They are the fundamental building blocks of electricity and play a crucial role in the flow of energy from one point to another.

2. How do electrons move in a wire?

Electrons move through a wire by a process called drift velocity. This means that they move slowly and randomly in a zig-zag pattern, bumping into other particles and atoms along the way. The overall effect is a net movement of electrons in the direction of the electric field.

3. Do all electrons in a wire move at the same speed?

No, electrons in a wire do not all move at the same speed. The speed of electrons depends on factors such as the material of the wire, the strength of the electric field, and the presence of any obstacles or impurities in the wire.

4. Can electrons flow in both directions in a wire?

Yes, electrons can flow in both directions in a wire. In most cases, the flow of electrons is from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, but in certain situations, the flow can be reversed. This is known as alternating current (AC) and is commonly used in electrical devices.

5. What happens to electrons when a wire is connected to a battery?

When a wire is connected to a battery, the battery creates an electric field that pushes electrons from the negative terminal of the battery to the positive terminal. This creates a flow of electrons through the wire, allowing for the transfer of energy and the powering of electrical devices.