Are there any chemical reactions that can generate radio waves?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
WarpedWatch
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I know that chemical reactions can emit light and heat, and these are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. But are there any chemical reactions that can directly produce electromagnetic emissions in the radio part of the spectrum?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can devise a reaction that creates oscillations in a plasma, then yes.
 
Dickfore said:
If you can devise a reaction that creates oscillations in a plasma, then yes.

So could a chemical reaction create a plasma and at the same time somehow oscillate that plasma to produce a radio wave? Aside from being purely hypothetical, do you know of any particular type of chemical reactions that could create such conditions?

Thanks! :smile:
 
I would say many chemical reactions create radio waves, if you consider light to be very high frequency electromagnetic radiation, that can be easily observed you can see chemical reactions creating 'radio' waves. (at the frequency of visible light).

But I would also assume that EM radiation would proporgate from any material at an excited state.

Also a chemical reaction can produce electricity, that in turn can create a spark and generate RF, but that is more a secondary effect, just as a battery can power a radio transmitter. I sure you did not mean that :)

There are also various chemical die's that will generate light, and it also occures in nature, (I found some Fungi when camping once that glowed in the dark).

They create chemical luminescense, and light is radio waves that you can easily see.
So those reactions will probaby also be generating frequencies lower that visible.
 
DrDu said:
Google CIDNP

Thanks, Dr Du. I also found out about a book from 1993:

Chemical Generation and Reception of Radio-and Microwaves.

Interesting!