1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any theories in physics that you don't believe?

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1
    I myself don't really believe that the rules of physics break down inside a black hole or that time can go backwards. I was wondering if there is anything that some people do not believe or have serious doubts about.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Who says time can go backwards? And the rules of physics as we know them must break down at some point in the sense of no longer being a good description. This does not mean physics itself breaks down - Nature does what Nature does. The entire point of physics is to describe how it does it as accurately as possible. Personal beliefs are ideally irrelevant.

4. Aug 8, 2014 #3
    I guess I failed to back my reasoning in the question. I heard many times over and over again in articles and documentaries that there could be a way to go back/forward in time that we are unaware of. A lot of times black holes are referenced as something that could be used as such. I don't believe that a black hole breaks the laws of physics, but it is governed by perhaps greater laws that we don't understand yet.

5. Aug 8, 2014 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Scientific theories are subject to experimental confirmation or contradiction. Our beliefs need not be scientifically based, but forum topics do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook