Are There Better Antennas for Tx433/RX433 RF Modules?

• Thread starter digitalblggr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antennas
In summary, the conversation discusses using tx433/Rx433 RF modules to transfer data between two AVRs. The speaker is experiencing difficulties with receiving the signal and is looking for suggestions for better antennas. They mention the use of quarter wave antennas, as well as dipole and Yagi antennas. They also suggest using a simple test antenna to adjust the spacing between elements for maximum signal strength.
digitalblggr
HI,

I am using tx433/Rx433 RF modules to transfer some data between two AVRs. I know that we have to use 30-35 cm simple wires as antennas.

I send out out two bytes. The second byte is the actual data , and first byte is to get rid of unwanted information. However, I have a hard time receiving the signal, and have to send it out a bunch of times. I noticed if I play with wires(antennas) for e.g.when I get receiver antenna really close to transmitter I receive data much faster. This made me think maybe there is a better choice for antennas out there.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I am supplying 9V to Tx433..so I should at least get ~200feet according to the datasheet, but so far I can't go beyond few cms.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A quarter wave length at 433 MHz is 17.3 cm, so this is what you would use for a simple antenna. It should actually be a little shorter than this.

You can use a dipole which is a half wavelength (34 cm) fed in the middle by a short feedline.

Or, you could use a Yagi antenna which consists of a dipole (32.3 cm) fed as before with a reflector (34.6 cm) 5 cm behind it and a director (30.6 cm) 13 cm in front of it.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ289kuXRumwrvKrSROcUlwEDkqtDxFESzjFNtpa5qmSiKkRZKmWN2HgzA.png

You can get calculation programs for designing Yagi antennas by searching on Google.
One of these is this one:
http://www.vk5dj.com/yagi.html

You can make a simple test antenna by connecting a half wave voltage doubler to the centre of a dipole and measuring the output of the voltage doubler using a multimeter on a low current range.
The voltage doubler should have Schottky diodes like the BAT85 in it. The capacitors should be about 1000 pF but cut to have very short leads.
200px-Greinacher_circuit.svg.png

In this diagram, above, you would omit the transformer and connect the two ends of the dipole feedpoint to the input of the doubler.

With this tester, you could adjust the transmit antenna for maximum received signal into the tester. You do this by adjusting the spacing between the elements of the Yagi.

Then you could make a similar one for the receiver and test it by attaching it to the transmitter.

Using better antennas should give you more reliable results and teach you a lot about antennas.

Related to Are There Better Antennas for Tx433/RX433 RF Modules?

1. What is the purpose of antennas for Tx433/RX433?

Antennas for Tx433/RX433 are used to transmit and receive radio signals in the 433 MHz frequency band. They are commonly used in wireless communication systems, such as remote controls, garage door openers, and wireless sensors.

2. How do antennas for Tx433/RX433 work?

Antennas for Tx433/RX433 work by converting electrical signals into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. The antenna receives the electrical signal from the transmitter, converts it into an electromagnetic wave, and radiates it into the air. The receiving antenna then captures the electromagnetic wave and converts it back into an electrical signal for the receiver to process.

3. What factors affect the performance of antennas for Tx433/RX433?

The performance of antennas for Tx433/RX433 can be affected by various factors, including the antenna design, placement, and surrounding environment. The type and quality of the antenna cable and connectors used can also impact its performance.

4. Can antennas for Tx433/RX433 be used for long-range communication?

The range of communication for antennas for Tx433/RX433 depends on several factors, such as the power of the transmitter, the sensitivity of the receiver, and the surrounding environment. In general, these antennas are suitable for short-range communication within a few hundred meters.

5. Are there different types of antennas for Tx433/RX433 available?

Yes, there are several types of antennas for Tx433/RX433, including dipole antennas, helical antennas, patch antennas, and Yagi antennas. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of antenna depends on the specific application and requirements.