Are there fields where a masters of science matters careerwise

In summary, in the fields of biology and chemistry, the PhD or B.S. degree is what determines your career and responsibilities. A Master's degree is often seen as equivalent to a B.S. with a few years of work experience. However, a Master's in information technology in a scientific field may be valuable, and there are Master's programs that prepare you for a career in research. For those interested in molecular biology, getting a PhD in that field is the best option. Switching to IT just for a Master's degree may not be beneficial if it does not align with your interests. Only 1/3 of students who start a PhD program actually complete it, and the rest earn a Master's degree. This can be seen
Juche
In biology or chemistry I have always heard it is either PhD or B.S. degree that determines your career & responsibilities. If you get the M.S. you are considered not much different than someone with a B.S. and a few years of work experience.

However I want to look into masters that actually matter. What about a Masters of information technology in a scientific field, would that matter? Are there any masters that prepare you for a career in research that actually matter in the job market? The field I'm interested in is molecular biology.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're interested in molecular biology, just get a PhD in molecular biology. Why would you switch to IT just to get a masters instead of PhD if it doesn't interest you?

tmc said:
If you're interested in molecular biology, just get a PhD in molecular biology. Why would you switch to IT just to get a masters instead of PhD if it doesn't interest you?

Only 1/3 of students who start the PhD earn it, the rest get M.Sc. degrees. To me it seems wasteful to spend 2-3 years earning 15-20k a year and working 60 hours a week if I could get the same level of work experience working 40 hours a week and earning 40-45k a year as a B.S. biochemist. Why bother if you will walk away w/o any marketable career skills unless you are in the 1/3 who make it all the way? I'd like an educational situation where I don't feel like I've achieved nothing 2/3 of the time.

Perhaps I shall look into programs with a high completion rate. I want a PhD though, and I'd gladly take that over a M.Sc. but I don't know for sure if I'd be one of the 1/3 who finishes the degree.

Juche said:
Only 1/3 of students who start the PhD earn it, the rest get M.Sc. degrees. To me it seems wasteful to spend 2-3 years earning 15-20k a year and working 60 hours a week if I could get the same level of work experience working 40 hours a week and earning 40-45k a year as a B.S. biochemist. Why bother if you will walk away w/o any marketable career skills unless you are in the 1/3 who make it all the way? I'd like an educational situation where I don't feel like I've achieved nothing 2/3 of the time.

Perhaps I shall look into programs with a high completion rate. I want a PhD though, and I'd gladly take that over a M.Sc. but I don't know for sure if I'd be one of the 1/3 who finishes the degree.

In some fields (such as engineering, I suppose) this might be true. But there are other fields where a PhD is more or less required. Physics, for example, is a somewhat weak BS. If you want to be a physicist, you need to have a PhD. I guess this is why people go for physics PhDs.

Yes, engineering! We prefer MS or PhD, simply because the person has had exposure to research and advanced problem solving above and beyond BS. We would consider supporting a promising employee who pursues a graduate degree in a discipline releveant to our work.

Masters is the best degree for engineering. A Phd is not required for most jobs and just a BS leaves you doing lower type work (not always, but a MS is a good hand up).

Astronuc said:
Yes, engineering! We prefer MS or PhD ...

That is the exact same situation where I work (aeronautical engineering). We much prefer a MS or PhD over a BS. We tend to hire more MSs than anything else, but that is more just numbers than preference. BS graduates have to be extremely outstanding before we will consider them.

True, I've always heard engineering is the one field where a MSc matters in the job market. But in fields that I'm interested in like biochem, cell biology or molecular bio it is a B.S. or PhD. I guess my best option is to find grad schools that have high completion rates for the doctorate. I do not want to waste 2-3 years of my life getting a degree (a M.S. in biochem or cell biology) that offers no real world benefit.

Related to Are there fields where a masters of science matters careerwise

1. Are there fields where a masters of science matters careerwise?

Yes, there are many fields where a masters of science degree can greatly impact your career. This includes fields such as engineering, computer science, healthcare, data science, and environmental science, among others.

2. How does a masters of science degree benefit a career?

A masters of science degree can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, making you a more competitive candidate for jobs and promotions. It can also open up opportunities for higher paying positions and leadership roles within your field.

3. Is a masters of science degree necessary for all careers in science?

No, a masters of science degree is not necessary for all careers in science. Some positions may only require a bachelor's degree, while others may require a PhD. It ultimately depends on the specific job and industry you are interested in pursuing.

4. Can a masters of science degree be combined with other degrees?

Yes, a masters of science degree can often be combined with other degrees, such as a master of business administration (MBA) or a master of public health (MPH). This can provide a unique and valuable skill set for certain industries and career paths.

5. Are there financial benefits to obtaining a masters of science degree?

Yes, there can be financial benefits to obtaining a masters of science degree. On average, individuals with a masters of science degree earn a higher salary than those with just a bachelor's degree. Additionally, some employers may offer tuition reimbursement or other financial incentives for employees who pursue a masters degree while working.