1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there mirrors/panels capable of reflecting designated color wavelengths?

  1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    I was thinking today about whether or not mirroring could be altered to reflect only certain wavelengths of the spectrum? I couldn't think of specified way to do such a thing, thought maybe some more adapted minds could lend some advice. Thanks for any help on the topic.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Yes. These are called dichroic filters, which transmit or reflect certain wavelengths by using layers of dielectrics. Look it up.
  4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Will do. Thanks for the direction.
  5. Sep 27, 2012 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Paint? How narrow a spectrum do you want?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook