Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you a Couch-Surfer?

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    I recently came across this site: http://www.couchsurfing.org/

From the testimonials people leave for each other as references, everybody seems to be happy with being a guest or a host, but I was just wondering if you ever accepted a guest that you regretted later?

So anyone has any negative experience with hosting strangers/guests that wants to share?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2
    Thanks, I was looking for something like http://www.couchsurfing.org/. I believe it let you interact with local people so you don't have to deal with the tourist guide companies?

4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    Do hosts charge for a stay?, and if so what is the advantage over staying at a motel?

5. Mar 6, 2010 #4
    I will pay the extra 100 dollars to not get kidnapped and raped.

6. Mar 6, 2010 #5
    I don't think so.

7. Mar 6, 2010 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know of a couple who have been doing this for a few years now. They have people from all over the world staying with them, and they themselves use this 'system' when traveling through Europe.
    They are both in their 50s, but most to people who stay with them are in their early 20s.
    So, it seems to work quite well for some people.

8. Mar 6, 2010 #7
    That was my first thought. But if the host has a positive feedback, then it gives you confidence.

So it's all free provided that you host some people right?

9. Mar 6, 2010 #8
    I have no direct experience with the service, but I know some people that have surfed and hosted people, and they haven't had any negative experiences. You get a pretty good idea of people beforehand by reading their profiles and looking at other people's references, and you can reject requests for any reason. It's pretty effective at screening out people who you might have an awful experience with, though obviously you can't like everyone you meet.

It is free, and there's no obligation to host anyone. Another upside is that you get to meet local people and get their perspective on a foreign place.

10. Mar 7, 2010 #9
    I've been accepted as a guest, and they regretted it later.

11. Mar 7, 2010 #10
    I have many friends who have had nothing but amazing experiences. It appears quite safe.

12. Mar 7, 2010 #11
    What did you do ? Do tell us :smile:

13. Mar 7, 2010 #12
  14. Mar 7, 2010 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Not for cynics

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook