Have you had a negative experience hosting couchsurfers?

• Thread starter Desiree
  • Start date
In summary, Paul Erdős was a mathematician who helped develop and popularize mathematical concepts such as game theory and probability.
Desiree
I recently came across this site: http://www.couchsurfing.org/

From the testimonials people leave for each other as references, everybody seems to be happy with being a guest or a host, but I was just wondering if you ever accepted a guest that you regretted later?

So anyone has any negative experience with hosting strangers/guests that wants to share?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I was looking for something like http://www.couchsurfing.org/. I believe it let you interact with local people so you don't have to deal with the tourist guide companies?

Do hosts charge for a stay?, and if so what is the advantage over staying at a motel?

I will pay the extra 100 dollars to not get kidnapped and raped.

waht said:
Do hosts charge for a stay?, and if so what is the advantage over staying at a motel?

I don't think so.

I know of a couple who have been doing this for a few years now. They have people from all over the world staying with them, and they themselves use this 'system' when traveling through Europe.
They are both in their 50s, but most to people who stay with them are in their early 20s.
So, it seems to work quite well for some people.

MotoH said:

That was my first thought. But if the host has a positive feedback, then it gives you confidence.

Desiree said:
I don't think so.

So it's all free provided that you host some people right?

I have no direct experience with the service, but I know some people that have surfed and hosted people, and they haven't had any negative experiences. You get a pretty good idea of people beforehand by reading their profiles and looking at other people's references, and you can reject requests for any reason. It's pretty effective at screening out people who you might have an awful experience with, though obviously you can't like everyone you meet.

It is free, and there's no obligation to host anyone. Another upside is that you get to meet local people and get their perspective on a foreign place.

Desiree said:
From the testimonials people leave for each other as references, everybody seems to be happy with being a guest or a host, but I was just wondering if you ever accepted a guest that you regretted later?

I've been accepted as a guest, and they regretted it later.

MotoH said:

I have many friends who have had nothing but amazing experiences. It appears quite safe.

zoobyshoe said:
I've been accepted as a guest, and they regretted it later.

What did you do ? Do tell us :smile:

Not for cynics

1. What is Couch-Surfing?

Couch-Surfing is a form of hospitality exchange where travelers stay in the homes of local hosts for free. It allows travelers to connect with locals and experience a more authentic cultural experience.

2. How does Couch-Surfing work?

Couch-Surfing works by creating a profile on a Couch-Surfing website, such as Couchsurfing.com, and connecting with hosts in the location you plan to visit. Once a match is made, the host provides a place to stay and may also offer to show the traveler around their city.

3. Is Couch-Surfing safe?

Couch-Surfing can be a safe and rewarding experience, but it is important to take precautions. Always thoroughly research your host and read reviews from previous travelers. It is also recommended to communicate with your host before your stay and let someone know where you will be staying.

4. How much does Couch-Surfing cost?

Couch-Surfing is a free form of accommodation, but it is recommended to bring a small gift for your host as a token of appreciation. Some travelers also offer to cook a meal or help with household chores as a way to contribute to their stay.

5. Can anyone be a Couch-Surfer?

Yes, anyone can be a Couch-Surfer! Couch-Surfing is open to people of all ages, backgrounds, and nationalities. However, it is important to be respectful and mindful of your host's rules and boundaries.