My Surprising Super Geek Score: Reflections on the Geek Stereotype

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geek
In summary: I collect slide rules, but I have a few calculators too. I have an HP15C (circa 1984, hand made in the USA), HP32SII (the best RPN scientific calculator ever made), and HP48GX (the most powerful calculator ever made).In summary, the conversation revolves around the participants discussing their geekiness and how they scored on a geek test. They also talk about the difference between a geek and a nerd and share their collections of slide rules and calculators. Some participants express disappointment with their scores while others embrace their geekiness.
Super Geek ~ 41.42% MAJOR GEEK

Matter said:
Geek! I didn't even think I'd make the grade.

I DID! 41.42%

Click here: INNERGEEK: http://www.innergeek.us/

TITLE: Super Geek
Lyrics and Chords

She's a very GEEKY girl
The kind you take home to mother
She will never let your spirits down
Especially discussing a physics magazine,
~ ow girl

/ Dm7 Am7 G Am7 / / / /

She likes the techies in the land
She says that I'm her all-time favorite
When I make my check mate - it's the right time
She's never likes to lose, oh no

{Refrain}
That girl is pretty wild now - the girl's still a super GEEK
The kind of girl you read about - in new-computer magazines
That girl is pretty GEEKY - the girl's a super GEEK
I really love to play a good game of chess with her -
Every time we meet

She's all right, she's all right
That girl's all right with me, yeah
She's a super GEEK, super GEEK, she's super-GEEKY, yow

/ Dm7 Am7 G Am7 / / / / FG Am7 FG Am7 /
/ FG Am7 - - Fmaj7 - E - / Dm7 Am7 G Am7 / /

Super geek, super geeky...

@2004 Werdas' TheSuperGeek

Attachments

• WerdatheGeek.bmp
    10.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
amwbonfire said:
1970's geeks? Dang, in 1970 I was -17 years old. I'm 17 years old now, so that's double my lifetime ago...

I don't mean to call anyone old. :redface:

The dates refer to a second quiz posted a page or so back. It tells you what decade geek you are. I guess there's a lot of appeal to the 70s for geeks :biggrin:

freak and geek have similarity?

Saint said:
freak and geek have similarity?

That's an old usage of the word. In circus sideshows, the geek used to be the one who would do things like eat a live chicken. Worse than a freak, just gross stuff.

But, that's not our meaning here. It's more similar to a nerd the way we are using it in this thread. Someone whose technological interests would be too esoteric for most people. A good example is the computer whiz kid who loves science fiction books or movies, but unlike a nerd, doesn't have to wear broken glasses, a pocket protector and short-sleeved plaid shirt. Geeks are allowed to be good looking.

Moonbear said:
Geeks are allowed to be good looking.

Moonbear said:
That's an old usage of the word. In circus sideshows, the geek used to be the one who would do things like eat a live chicken. Worse than a freak, just gross stuff.

But, that's not our meaning here. It's more similar to a nerd the way we are using it in this thread. Someone whose technological interests would be too esoteric for most people. A good example is the computer whiz kid who loves science fiction books or movies, but unlike a nerd, doesn't have to wear broken glasses, a pocket protector and short-sleeved plaid shirt. Geeks are allowed to be good looking.

Moonbear ~
Yes, I wear my in-cog-geeko uniform ... :wink: ~Werdas' And I 4.0 you for your comments. :::take a bow:::

Moonbear said:
Geeks are allowed to be good looking.

Last edited:
Werdatothewise said:
in-cog-geeko uniform

I need one. :biggrin: How much and where from?

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
I need one. :biggrin: How much and where from?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Dearest Bob,

Of course! Before I can answer your question ~ my question to you is - are you looking to GEEK-UP, or, GEEK-DOWN? :biggrin:

Werdas' 42% Geek, and a 100% hip-chick-psychology Ph.der, who is ready and willing to preform ectomies of the brain ~ for needed research of course

Werdatothewise said:
Dearest Bob,

Of course! Before I can answer your question ~ my question to you is - are you looking to GEEK-UP, or, GEEK-DOWN? :biggrin:

Werdas' 42% Geek, and a 100% hip-chick-psychology Ph.der, who is ready and willing to preform ectomies of the brain ~ for needed research of course

Geek-Up.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Geeking UP the 'THE BOB'

The Bob said:
Geek-Up.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Bob, Bob, Bob... this is how it is done. Take this $5 buck. I will wait in the van. You will enter the Salvation Army with your $5 total spending money. You have EXACTLY 6 minutes to complete a clothing outfit that cannot exceed the $5 you have in your pocket. ::::Major Geek Accomplished!

Ps: What the "heck" are we both doing up at 3:26 AM typing/communicationing on the Physics Forum?

Signed: (2004 ©)
Werdas' ~ 42% Major Geek, 100% Hip-Psycho-Chick and loving each day!

Werdatothewise said:
Bob, Bob, Bob... this is how it is done. Take this $5 buck. I will wait in the van. You will enter the Salvation Army with your $5 total spending money. You have EXACTLY 6 minutes to complete a clothing outfit that cannot exceed the $5 you have in your pocket. ::::Major Geek Accomplished!

Ps: What the "heck" are we both doing up at 3:26 AM typing/communicationing on the Physics Forum?

Signed: (2004 ©)
Werdas' ~ 42% Major Geek, 100% Hip-Psycho-Chick and loving each day!

Ok, I get it.

It is 10:23 am in England.

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. You are mad.

The Bob said:
Ok, I get it.

It is 10:23 am in England.

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. You are mad.

Dear "The Bob"
YES, I am! ::::evil laughter:::: especially in my white coat

...nerds are maladjusted and geeks are just intellectuals.

Moonbear said:
I was surprised by this too. I've always accepted myself as a geek, so was shocked that I didn't score very high on that quiz. However, I think that quiz is confusing geek with nerd. All those questions about gaming seem like more nerdy activities than geeky things to me. I don't know if others have this distinction in their mind, but I tend to think of geeks as people who have a lot of technological/scientific interests, the ones who like to learn and share what they've learned just because. I think of nerds as those who completely lack social skills, who live in their own world, possibly virtual, who take things like gaming as too much of their reality. Basically, I guess my distinction is that nerds are maladjusted and geeks are just intellectuals. Most of the folks around here seem fairly well balanced as people, and it seems the test doesn't know how to account for us.

Mr. Moonbear,

I delight in reading your twelve-lined comprehension of the "Geek Test". Although I scored 42% (never owning a television) I am in complete agreement with your statements as listed above, and as quoted below...

Quote: Moonbear:
"Basically, I guess my distinction is that nerds are maladjusted and geeks are just intellectuals. Most of the folks around here seem fairly well balanced as people, and it seems the test doesn't know how to account for us."

Werdatothewise said:
Mr. Moonbear,

:grumpy:

Maybe I should start posting in pink. It seems my gender is being questioned quite often around here. No wonder I can't find dates! :rofl:

P.S. I only pretend to be offended. I know that only those who have had the fortitude to read through the member photo thread to about the 35th page or so would know I'm female. How come nobody even guesses I'm female? It's a 50/50 chance, you'd think the odds are somebody would guess it right on occassion.

Don't you know? A 50/50 chance either has a 90% or a 10% chance of being guessed correctly. :frown:

Odds against or odds in favor?

Hurkyl said:
Don't you know? A 50/50 chance either has a 90% or a 10% chance of being guessed correctly. :frown:

Odds Against/Odds in Favor
Odds against is a ratio of the probability of A not occurring to the probability of A occurring.

A typical method of calculating this would be P(Ã) to P(A), where P(Ã) is the probability of A not happening and P(A) is the probability of A happening. These might possibly be expressed as a fraction, but beware that odds are not probability. Notice that if these probabilities are expressed as fractions, the denominators of both could be the same and could represent the number of outcomes in our sample space, if unreduced.

The odds in favor or odds for is the "reciprocal" of the odds against: P(A) to P(Ã).

Odds against or odds in favor [of] are sometimes left unreduced, but are typically reduced with a "numerator" of 1. They are most commonly expressed in the form a:b or a to b. When one says you have a 50:50 chance of getting heads, this is a typical statement of odds, but can also be interpretted as saying you have a 50% chance of winning and a 50% chance of losing.
~Werdas'

I am a...poser. :confused:

Moonbear: I thought you were a female, so I was right.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Moonbear said:
:grumpy:

Maybe I should start posting in pink. It seems my gender is being questioned quite often around here. No wonder I can't find dates! :rofl:

I empathize. Someone (in a post) just referred to me as "he" again. I haven't been called "dude" in a while though, so I'll count my blessings. :biggrin:

Dr Transport said:
Only 17%, I thought I was worse...
Would worse be a higher or lower percent?

Are geeks (no offence to anybody) usually kind of ugly, or behind those glasses perfectly normal?
I'm not a student so I don't meet them,but once on Discovery Channel I saw most beautifull geek girl.She had old fashines glasses and funny dress but still her face and manners were faultless.