Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you afraid that no one will care about your calculations?

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    I'm making some calculations in logic and I'm using a lot of invented notation and I'm hoping that it will make philosophy more mathematical but I'm often afraid no one will care about my calculations or bother to learn how to do them. Are you ever afraid that no one will care about your calculations? Do you ever plan on publishing proofs and worry that no one will bother to check your work?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The maths forum is for doing math, not speculating.

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My two cents:
    There have been some very good philosopher - mathematicians (Bertrand Russell comes to mind.) One thing that is critical for people to take you seriously, is for you to take them seriously. If you haven't already, become thoroughly familiar with the work that has already been done to put philosophy on a mathematical basis. Your comments on work that is already taken seriously will be noticed.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4

Evo

Just a reminder, we don't allow philosophy here.

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the risk of an infraction... In a graduate level Philosophy of Science course I received a B for a "BS" paper refuting Immanuel Kant using Einsteins special relativity theory. It really was "BS". Just sayin'

7. Mar 5, 2014 #6

The boundary between philosophy and logic is not precise. For example, would you call Principia Mathematica math or philosophy? Would you call Frege's Foundations of Arithmetic math or philosophy? No one has a good answer to this question. But so as to satisfy you I will rephrase my OP:

I'm making some calculations in logic and I'm using a lot of invented notation and I'm hoping that it will make argument more mathematical but I'm often afraid no one will care about my calculations or bother to learn how to do them. Are you ever afraid that no one will care about your calculations? Do you ever plan on publishing proofs and worry that no one will bother to check your work?

8. Mar 5, 2014 #7

This is quite reasonable. Thanks for the input.

9. Mar 5, 2014 #8
    I think Kant is one of the worse Philosophers from the 1600 - 1850 period. He can't get anything right.

10. Mar 5, 2014 #9

Evo

This is going nowhere. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook