Are you afraid that no one will care about your calculations?

I'm making some calculations in logic and I'm using a lot of invented notation and I'm hoping that it will make philosophy more mathematical but I'm often afraid no one will care about my calculations or bother to learn how to do them. Are you ever afraid that no one will care about your calculations? Do you ever plan on publishing proofs and worry that no one will bother to check your work?

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
The maths forum is for doing math, not speculating.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My two cents:
There have been some very good philosopher - mathematicians (Bertrand Russell comes to mind.) One thing that is critical for people to take you seriously, is for you to take them seriously. If you haven't already, become thoroughly familiar with the work that has already been done to put philosophy on a mathematical basis. Your comments on work that is already taken seriously will be noticed.

Evo
Mentor
Just a reminder, we don't allow philosophy here.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
At the risk of an infraction... In a graduate level Philosophy of Science course I received a B for a "BS" paper refuting Immanuel Kant using Einsteins special relativity theory. It really was "BS". Just sayin'

The boundary between philosophy and logic is not precise. For example, would you call Principia Mathematica math or philosophy? Would you call Frege's Foundations of Arithmetic math or philosophy? No one has a good answer to this question. But so as to satisfy you I will rephrase my OP:

I'm making some calculations in logic and I'm using a lot of invented notation and I'm hoping that it will make argument more mathematical but I'm often afraid no one will care about my calculations or bother to learn how to do them. Are you ever afraid that no one will care about your calculations? Do you ever plan on publishing proofs and worry that no one will bother to check your work?

My two cents:
There have been some very good philosopher - mathematicians (Bertrand Russell comes to mind.) One thing that is critical for people to take you seriously, is for you to take them seriously. If you haven't already, become thoroughly familiar with the work that has already been done to put philosophy on a mathematical basis. Your comments on work that is already taken seriously will be noticed.

This is quite reasonable. Thanks for the input.

At the risk of an infraction... In a graduate level Philosophy of Science course I received a B for a "BS" paper refuting Immanuel Kant using Einsteins special relativity theory. It really was "BS". Just sayin'
I think Kant is one of the worse Philosophers from the 1600 - 1850 period. He can't get anything right.

Evo
Mentor
This is going nowhere. Thread closed.

Likes 1 person