What is the area between two circles with a diameter of 10m?

In summary, the problem asks for the area of a circle that intersects the perimeter of two circles. The first equation gives the area of the entire circle and the second equation gives the area of the intersection.
skybox

Homework Statement

xgDQUgT.png

Homework Equations

The area of a circle:
[tex]A_c = \pi r^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the diameter of the oval shape is 10m since the problem says that it touches the circumference of the center of each circle. I am not sure how to approach the problem now. Any hints would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well we have two equations to work with
[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 10^2[/tex]
[tex](x-10)^2 + y^2 = 10^2[/tex]

Theses give the equations of the two circles if we place the origin at the center of the circle on the left. Next I would advise finding the intersection points. Hopefully you can continue to work on it some more and determine the area using these equations.

Last edited:
If you get stuck again, I imagine it will be finding the area once you get those two points. I would highly recommend reading this page on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cap. You can obtain the equation for spherical caps. I'm not sure if this is the way your instructor wants to do it or not though. It is possible to derive it yourself using the equations, but this will make it much less painless =)

This is very much like an olympiad question, so much so that I think we should refrain from explaining how to solve it and leave it as a challenge for each reader to solve.

As a hint, there is an easier way to find the points of intersection that uses only geometry, and to solve it, only geometry and some very elementary trig knowledge is needed.

verty said:
This is very much like an olympiad question, so much so that I think we should refrain from explaining how to solve it and leave it as a challenge for each reader to solve.

As a hint, there is an easier way to find the points of intersection that uses only geometry, and to solve it, only geometry and some very elementary trig knowledge is needed.

I find this to be easier than whatever geometry you're using

[tex]x^2 - 20x + 100 + y^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex]
[tex]x = 100/20 = 5, y = \pm 5\sqrt{3}[/tex]

haha, but its always nice to have multiple ways to solve things. Of course, the next part of the problem is really the hard part =p

In case it is needed, here is a second hint: Divide the area down the middle, find half, then double it.

This way I know Skybox has ample hints to solve it. So I hope we can now leave it unanswered, thank you.

Thanks all for the replies. I think I have an idea on how to solve the problem with all the hints given. I will not post the solution once I do come to a solution. Thanks again!

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two circles?

The formula for finding the area between two circles is A = π(R1² - R2²), where R1 and R2 are the radii of the two circles.

2. How do you determine the radii of the two circles when finding the area between them?

You can determine the radii of the two circles by measuring the distance from the center of each circle to any point on its circumference.

3. Is the area between two circles always positive?

No, the area between two circles can be positive or negative, depending on the relative sizes of the circles. If the smaller circle is completely inside the larger circle, the area will be negative.

4. Can the area between two circles be found using calculus?

Yes, the area between two circles can be found using calculus by setting up an integral and integrating the equation for the area of a circle over the desired limits.

5. How can the area between two circles be used in real-life applications?

The area between two circles can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the amount of space between two overlapping circular objects, determining the amount of material needed for a circular patchwork design, or finding the overlap between two circular fields in agriculture.