1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between two curves within x & y limits

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The actual numbers aren't completely relevant. I made a graphic.
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/kamikazehighland/calculus.png [Broken]

I'm actually not in calculus or engineering. I'm actually writing a program, but I've done enough research to know how to differentiate and find areas under curves between x limits, just not between y limits as well.

I'm looking for the area of the green part of the graphic. Yes, I can and have solved it algebraically but I really need to be able to define this problem a certain way to apply to any situation, specifically:

I need to phrase this as an integral between two curves, within x limits and within y limits.

2. Relevant equations

The specifics aren't completely necessary, but the x limits are x=1 & x=2. The slopes in this problem are 3x/4 and 384x/511. The y limits need to be y=384/641 to y=1152/1283.

3. The attempt at a solution

The areas under the curves are 3x^2/8 and 192x^2/511. The area under the first curve within x=0 and x=1 is 3/8, 1.5 between x=0 and x=2 and 1.125 between x=1 and x=2. The area under the second curve is 192/511, and the area between the two curves is 1149/1022, or 3063/4088 within x=1 and x=2.

I should add that I've set this up several ways as multiple integrals and not found the answer I was looking for.

There are any number of ways to solve this, obviously. But the situations could change. The slopes could be curves, and the needed x or y limits could change. That's why I need a specific way to define an area between two curves, within x limits and within y limits.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately, the region of interest is bounded by more than two curves. Your problem requires a more complex treatment than you are assuming.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook