1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area in polar coordinate using multiple integral

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    The question is to find the area of a disk, r ≤ 2a×cos(θ)
    as in the figure "example-just an illustration"

yvLb1.png

I used two methods, each gave different wrong answers

- integrate 2a×cos(θ) dθ dr - from θ=0 to θ=π/2 and from r=2a to r=2a×cos(θ) ; then I simply multiplied the answer by 2.

- integrate 2a×cos(θ) dθ dr - from θ=0 to θ=2π and from r=2a to r=2a×cos(θ)

I was hopping to get the right answer using the first method, but surprisingly it didn't work, integration seems to be fine I even used wolfram to check it.

-----------------

I have another small question. I had a question about finding the volume of flipped cone "its point in the origin and its shape is in the positive side of z-axis", its height is the same as its base radius so that, r=h z=h, thus r=z
    "example-just an illustration"

http://01.edu-cdn.com/files/static/mcgrawhillprof/9780071624756/INVERTED_CONE_WATER_TANK_PROBLEM_01.GIF [Broken]

thing is, when I put the limits say : r=0 ⇒ h //// z=0 ⇒ r //// θ=0 ⇒ 2π . It give wrong answer

but r=0 ⇒ z //// z=0 ⇒ h //// θ=0 ⇒ 2π . give the right one

that's really confusing!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In polar coordinates the area element is ##dA = r \, dr \, d \theta##. To get the area inside the curve ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)## we need to integrate ##dA## for ##r =0 \to 2 a \cos(\theta)## and for ##\theta = 0 \to \pi/2##, then multiply the result by 2 (or integrate for ##\theta = -\pi/2 \to \pi/2##).

The boundary curve ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)## has a simple form when expressed in cartesian coordinates---looking at the plot suggests what it should be. From the resulting form one can easily determine the interior area with essentially no work.

4. Aug 12, 2015 #3
    we begin at ##θ=0##, why should ##r=0## ?, logicaly ##r=2acosθ## give us ##r=2a## !
    the thing is, ##r## is the distance between the point and the origin and ##θ## is the angle between r and x-axis !

I don't know how did you do it but! the limits you suggest were wrong "both limit from ##-π/2## to ##π/2## and ##0## to ##π/2## multiplied by ## 2##" give an answer of## = 2πa^2##, which is double the area we expect.

Thank you.

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the picture! For a given value of ##\theta##, ##r## starts at ##r = 0## and ends at ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)##.

My limits are not wrong, and when I do the integration I get an area of exactly ##2 \times \pi a^2/2 = \pi a^2## in the ##0 \to \pi/2## case and ##\pi a^2## directly in the ##-\pi/2 \to \pi/2## case. Yes, I have done the integrations, and that is what I get!

Please re-read what I said in post #2. There I told you exactly what integrations I performed, and they are not at all the same as the ones you did.

6. Aug 13, 2015 #5
    but the computer gave me solutions different than yours
    look

http://im50.gulfup.com/rtRHjt.png [Broken]

http://im50.gulfup.com/lL8Idy.png [Broken]

7. Aug 13, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are not the correct integrals; they do not represent the area you want. Again: re-read (carefully!) what I wrote; or else, look up the topic in a book or via Google.

8. Aug 13, 2015 #7
    Got it!, thank you. But can I ask another question ?

why can't I substitute ##r=2a cos(θ)## in the integral?, I did it because it seems reasonable in an integral. I mean since r depend on θ, then I can't integrate ##2a cos(θ)## which is in ##r## with respect to r because it contain a constant!. All that doesn't matter, still the question is why I can't substitute with the value of r ?

is it because the disk is represented by ##r ≤ 2a cos(θ)## ??

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  9. Aug 13, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically, yes.

I did suggest you look up the topic in Google. Have you done that? You should; there are several nice articles with derivations, diagrams, worked examples, etc. All your questions will be answered there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted