1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a part of circle

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the figure is shown on the attachment. Find the area of the smallest part of the circle.

2. Relevant equations

area of circle, sector, segment

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot use the said equations since the part of the circle is not with reference to the center. I cannot think also of any formulas for this kind of problem.

Please help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2
    Consider that part as a part of another circle whose radius is 7. :wink:

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3
    I already did that but the resulting answer is not the same with the given answer.

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4
    Are you sure? :wink:

6. Jun 28, 2012 #5
    Can you show us your steps and calculations?

Not quite, but let me check it out once more.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. Jun 28, 2012 #6
    If that is another circle, then the area would be a quarter circle
    A = (pi)(7^2) / 4 = 38.48. however, the given answer is 31.

8. Jun 28, 2012 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Your first step should be to demonstrate that the corner of that square lies at the centre of the large circle.

9. Jun 28, 2012 #8
    I do not get the first step.

10. Jun 28, 2012 #9

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Lest anyone be misled into thinking this apparently is an easy problem you can solve in your head .... :frown:

You do need some trig and a calculator, and the answer is not an integer. I get 31.0126

11. Jun 28, 2012 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

This can be done the hard way, or a very easy way.

Hard way: use trig to find certain angles, then prove that a geometric property of a circle (angle subtended by a chord at circumference = half angle subtended at centre). I was mucking around with this for a few minutes (and actually did it) before inspiration struck and I found the easy way.

Easy way: Reflect the figure vertically and superimpose the mirror images (getting two vertically stacked 5X5 squares). Now reflect that figure laterally, and superimpose the mirror images (to get four 5X5 squares). You will find that, with the dimensions given, one vertex of each of those squares will exactly touch the others, proving that that is the centre.

Now, after you've done that, the easiest way to find the required area is to visualise it as the sum of areas of a segment and a right triangle. Determining the angle subtended by the segment requires a little trig, but nothing too difficult.

12. Jun 28, 2012 #11
    I did this. Couldn't post about it because I had to go out :frown: The answer doesn't come out to be exact, as NascentOxygen pointed out.

Interesting method, Curious(10^3)Pi! :smile:

13. Jun 28, 2012 #12

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Thanks, but I only found it because I'm always trying to find the lazy way out. :tongue:

14. Jun 29, 2012 #13
    I solved it and I got it using the easy way. Thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook