What is the area of this part of a circle?

• Thread starter kaizokonpaku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Circle
In summary, the homework statement is that the figure shown on the attachment is the area of a small part of a circle. The attempt at a solution is that the figure is not with reference to the center. The figure can be seen as a part of another circle whose radius is 7.
kaizokonpaku

Homework Statement

the figure is shown on the attachment. Find the area of the smallest part of the circle.

Homework Equations

area of circle, sector, segment

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot use the said equations since the part of the circle is not with reference to the center. I cannot think also of any formulas for this kind of problem.

Please help.

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that part as a part of another circle whose radius is 7. :wink:

I already did that but the resulting answer is not the same with the given answer.

Pranav-Arora said:
Consider that part as a part of another circle whose radius is 7. :wink:

Are you sure? :wink:

kaizokonpaku said:
I already did that but the resulting answer is not the same with the given answer.

Can you show us your steps and calculations?

Infinitum said:
Are you sure?
Not quite, but let me check it out once more.

Last edited:
If that is another circle, then the area would be a quarter circle
A = (pi)(7^2) / 4 = 38.48. however, the given answer is 31.

Your first step should be to demonstrate that the corner of that square lies at the centre of the large circle.

Last edited:
I do not get the first step.

kaizokonpaku said:
the given answer is 31.
Lest anyone be misled into thinking this apparently is an easy problem you can solve in your head ... :frown:

You do need some trig and a calculator, and the answer is not an integer. I get 31.0126

kaizokonpaku said:
I do not get the first step.

This can be done the hard way, or a very easy way.

Hard way: use trig to find certain angles, then prove that a geometric property of a circle (angle subtended by a chord at circumference = half angle subtended at centre). I was mucking around with this for a few minutes (and actually did it) before inspiration struck and I found the easy way.

Easy way: Reflect the figure vertically and superimpose the mirror images (getting two vertically stacked 5X5 squares). Now reflect that figure laterally, and superimpose the mirror images (to get four 5X5 squares). You will find that, with the dimensions given, one vertex of each of those squares will exactly touch the others, proving that that is the centre.

Now, after you've done that, the easiest way to find the required area is to visualise it as the sum of areas of a segment and a right triangle. Determining the angle subtended by the segment requires a little trig, but nothing too difficult.

Curious3141 said:
This can be done the hard way, or a very easy way.

Hard way: use trig to find certain angles, then prove that a geometric property of a circle (angle subtended by a chord at circumference = half angle subtended at centre). I was mucking around with this for a few minutes (and actually did it) before inspiration struck and I found the easy way.

I did this. Couldn't post about it because I had to go out :frown: The answer doesn't come out to be exact, as NascentOxygen pointed out.

Easy way: Reflect the figure vertically and superimpose the mirror images (getting two vertically stacked 5X5 squares). Now reflect that figure laterally, and superimpose the mirror images (to get four 5X5 squares). You will find that, with the dimensions given, one vertex of each of those squares will exactly touch the others, proving that that is the centre.

Now, after you've done that, the easiest way to find the required area is to visualise it as the sum of areas of a segment and a right triangle. Determining the angle subtended by the segment requires a little trig, but nothing too difficult.

Interesting method, Curious(10^3)Pi! :smile:

Last edited:
Infinitum said:
Interesting method, Curious(10^3)Pi! :smile:

Thanks, but I only found it because I'm always trying to find the lazy way out. :tongue:

I solved it and I got it using the easy way. Thanks for the help :)

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a part of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a part of a circle is (θ/360) x πr², where θ is the central angle (in degrees) of the sector and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you find the central angle of a sector?

The central angle of a sector can be found by dividing the arc length of the sector by the radius of the circle and then multiplying by 360.

3. Can the area of a part of a circle be greater than the area of the entire circle?

No, the area of a part of a circle will always be less than or equal to the area of the entire circle. This is because the area of the entire circle is equal to πr², while the area of a part of the circle is calculated by multiplying πr² by a fraction of the central angle.

4. How does the area of a part of a circle change when the central angle increases?

The area of a part of a circle will increase as the central angle increases. This is because a larger central angle means a larger fraction of the circle's area is being considered in the calculation.

5. Can the area of a part of a circle be negative?

No, the area of a part of a circle cannot be negative. This is because the area of a circle is always a positive value, and the area of a part of a circle is a fraction of the area of the entire circle. Therefore, the area of a part of a circle will always be positive or zero.