Not a trick but an non-graphical way to find the limits.
Will edit with it since it might be a bit long.
Teacher taught with examples so:
You have 2 lines that you're looking to find the area within, you want to find the points of intersection.
I.[tex]r=4-4cos\theta[/tex]
II.[tex]4r=5+6cos\theta[/tex]
Find points of intersection by equating the equations.
multiply I by 4 and equate it to II.
[tex]16-16cos\theta=5+6cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]11=22cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}=cos\theta[/tex]
once you find what cos or sin equals to change to Cartesian coordinates.
plug-in cos in I.
r=4-4(.5)
r=2
[tex]x=rcos\theta=2*\frac{1}{2}=1[/tex]
[tex]sin\theta=\pm\sqrt{1-cos^2\theta}[/tex]
[tex]sin\theta=\pm\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}}=\pm\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}}=\pm\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]y=rsin\theta=2*\pm\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\pm\sqrt{3}[/tex]
2 points of intersection found so far:
[tex]P_1=(1,\sqrt{3})[/tex]
[tex]P_2=(1,-\sqrt{3})[/tex]
Now to check for the origin..
Plug in r=0 into equations I and II and you will get an equation for cos or sin, check that cos or sin are within the values that cos and sin should have. [-1,1]
I, r=0 => [tex]0=4-4cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]cos\theta=1[/tex] Acceptable Value
[tex]0=5+6cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]cos\theta=-\frac{5}{6}[/tex] Another Acceptable Value
So the origin is also a point of intersection.
Edit: Figured it out..
You have a value for Cos, use that to find a value for theta.
[tex]\theta_1=\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]
[tex]\theta_2=-\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]
If you have these points on a circle you split up the circle into 2 portions. [-pi/3,pi/3] (Goes through 0) and [pi/3,-pi/3] (Goes through pi).
You may have many other values for theta. You'll have to check where I is above II in all of the subsets.
Now say you want to find the area of I that is above II.
So you'll plug in some value for theta in those subsets and solve for r, and check where I is > II.
[tex]\theta=0[/tex]
I.[tex]r=4-4cos0=0[/tex]
II.[tex]4r=5+6cos0=> r=11/4[/tex]
Line II is above line I so you don't want this section.
[tex]\theta=pi[/tex]
I.[tex]r=4+4=8[/tex]
II.[tex]4r=5-6=>r=-1/4[/tex]
Line I is above line II so you want this section.
Your first limit will be pi/3. you second limit will be at -pi/3. But you want to go counterclockwise around the circle through pi instead of through 0.
So you take -pi/3 + 2pi to find the another value for this location. This gives you 5pi/3.
Your limits will be [itex][\frac{\pi}{3},\frac{5pi}{3}][/itex]
and A:
[tex]A=\frac{1}{2}\int_\frac{\pi}{3}^\frac{5\pi}{3}((4-4cos\theta)^2-(\frac{5+6cos\theta}{4})^2)d\theta[/tex]