Area of revolution of hyperbola

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
~Sam~
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region in the first quadrant bounded by the hyperbola y2−x2=4 and the lines y=0, x=3 and x=5 about the y− axis.


Homework Equations



Nothing specific...general equations

The Attempt at a Solution



So I would write it as
I was wondering if it was just 2x*pi*dx*(√4+x2) from x=3 and x=5? Or would I have to incorporate the "hole" from x=0 to x=3.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
~Sam~ said:
I was wondering if it was just 2x*pi*dx*(√4+x2) from x=3 and x=5? Or would I have to incorporate the "hole" from x=0 to x=3.

Hi ~Sam~! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

Yes, just ∫35 2x*π*dx*√(4+x2) …

you're "adding" the volumes of the cylindrical shells that make up the whole shape, so you only need the shells with radii from 3 to 5. :smile: