Area of Surface: x^2+y^2+z^2=R^2, z>=h, 0<=h<=R

In summary, the equation for the surface area of a sphere is A = 4πR^2, where R is the radius of the sphere. When a height limit is applied, the equation becomes A = 4π(R^2-h^2). This equation can also be used for a hemisphere by setting h = R, resulting in a surface area of A = 2πR^2. The surface area and volume of a sphere are related by the formula V = (4/3)πR^3, with the surface area increasing at a faster rate than the volume. Finally, when the radius of a sphere is doubled, the surface area is quadrupled due to the squared term in the surface area equation
Incand

Homework Statement

Calculate the area of the surface ##x^2+y^2+z^2 = R^2 , z \ge h , 0 \le h \le R##

Homework Equations

##A(S_D) = \iint_D |\mathbf r'_s \times \mathbf r'_t|dsdt##
where ##S_D## is the surface over ##D##.

The Attempt at a Solution

We write the surface in parametric form using spherical coordinates
##\mathbf r(\theta ,\phi) = R(\sin \theta \cos \phi , \sin \theta \sin \phi , \cos \theta)##
which gives us
##\mathbf r'_\theta = R(\cos \theta \cos \phi , \cos \theta \sin \phi , -\sin \theta)##
and
##\mathbf r'_\phi = R(-\sin \theta \sin \phi , \sin \theta \cos \phi , 0 )##
so we end up with
##|\mathbf r'_\theta \times \mathbf r'_\phi | = R^2|\sin \theta | |(\sin \theta \cos \phi , \sin \theta , \sin \theta \sin \phi , \cos \theta ) | = R^2|\sin \theta |##
and the area
##A(S_D) = \iint _D R^2|\sin \theta | = \int _?^? \int _0^{2\pi } R^2|\sin \theta | d\phi d? = 2\pi \int _?^? R^2|\sin \theta | d? ##
So my problem is i don't know what I am supposed to integrate over. I suppose it should be ##\theta## but I'm not sure between what limits. Or even if the switch to spherical coordinates was a good idea at all.

The answer according to the book should be ##A(S_D) = 2\pi R(R-h)##
which makes me think i made another error somewhere else as well since I got an excess of ##R##.

Appreciate any help. Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the area of the surface ##x^2+y^2+z^2 = R^2 , z \ge h , 0 \le h \le R##

Homework Equations

##\mathbf r(\theta ,\phi) = R(\sin \theta \cos \phi , \sin \theta \sin \phi , \cos \theta)##
which gives us
##\mathbf r'_\theta = R(\cos \theta \cos \phi , \cos \theta \sin \phi , -\sin \theta)##
and
so we end up with
##|\mathbf r'_\theta \times \mathbf r'_\phi | = R^2|\sin \theta | |(\sin \theta \cos \phi , \sin \theta , \sin \theta \sin \phi , \cos \theta ) | = R^2|\sin \theta |##
and the area
##A(S_D) = \iint _D R^2|\sin \theta | = \int _?^? \int _0^{2\pi } R^2|\sin \theta | d\phi d? = 2\pi \int _?^? R^2|\sin \theta | d? ##
So my problem is i don't know what I am supposed to integrate over. I suppose it should be ##\theta## but I'm not sure between what limits. Or even if the switch to spherical coordinates was a good idea at all.

which makes me think i made another error somewhere else as well since I got an excess of ##R##.

OK, you are using ##\theta## as the angle from the ##z## axis, and yes, spherical coordinates is what you want. Draw a cross section of your sphere of radius ##R## with a horizontal line at ##z=h##. The triangle that forms should give you the limits for ##\theta##.

Incand said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

which gives us
and
so we end up with
and the area
The only two variables you have are "[itex]\phi[/itex]" and "[itex]\theta[/itex]" and you have already integrated with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex] so the only possible remaining variable is [itex]\theta[/itex]. [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle a line from (0, 0, R) to (x, y, z) makes with the z-axis. When (x, y, z)= (0, 0, R), [itex]\theta= 0[/itex]. When [itex]z= R cos(\theta)= h[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= \frac{h}{R}[/itex] so [itex]\theta= cos^{-1}\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)[/itex].

Thanks for the help both of you! I got it from Kurtz advice earlier but couldn't respond before now. The confusion with if i should integrate over ##\theta ## was more that i couldn't find the limits and thought that perhaps spherical was a bad idea and i should use the radius somehow.

Gonna add the rest of the solution in case anyone else come upon the thread.
From the attachment pdf we can see that ##cos(\theta)= \frac{h}{R}## so therefore ##0 \le \theta \le \arccos (\frac{h}{R} ) ##

##A = 2R^2\pi \int_0^{\arccos \frac{h}{R}} \sin \theta d\theta = 2R^2\pi ( -\frac{h}{R} + 1) = 2R\pi(R-h)##

Attachments

• sphere.pdf
    6 KB · Views: 218

Related to Area of Surface: x^2+y^2+z^2=R^2, z>=h, 0<=h<=R

1. What is the equation for the surface area of a sphere?

The equation for the surface area of a sphere is given by A = 4πR^2, where R is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the equation for surface area of a sphere change when a height limit is applied?

When a height limit h is applied to the surface area equation, it becomes A = 4π(R^2-h^2). This is because the height limit restricts the range of the z-axis values, thereby affecting the total surface area.

3. Can the surface area equation be used for a hemisphere?

Yes, the surface area equation can be used for a hemisphere by applying a height limit of h = R. This results in a surface area of A = 2πR^2.

4. What is the relationship between the surface area and volume of a sphere?

The surface area and volume of a sphere are related by the formula V = (4/3)πR^3. This means that as the surface area increases, the volume also increases, but not at the same rate.

5. How is the surface area of a sphere affected when the radius is doubled?

When the radius of a sphere is doubled, the surface area is quadrupled. This is because the surface area equation contains the term R^2, which is squared. So, if the radius is doubled, the term becomes (2R)^2 = 4R^2, resulting in a four times larger surface area.