1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of Triangle

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    How can I go about finding the area of a triangle with sides a, b, and c, assuming we do not already know a formula for it (such as Heron's Formula)? Kind of like a proof, I suppose.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could split it into 2 right angle triangles. It's failry easy to calculate the area of a right angle triangle.

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    define a line as a side and integrate...

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I take it you mean set the triangle up so that one vertex is at the origin and another is along the positive x-axis. The difficulty with that is that, since you know only the lengths of the sides, you would have to break it into right triangles to determine the limits of integration. Once you have done that, it is simpler to find the area of the right triangles, mgb_phys' recomendation, than to integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?