Area under the curve and its submission.

• Thread starter dE_logics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary, the area under the curve and the submission of all values on that curve will be different right? Just confirming.
dE_logics
Within specified limits, the area under the curve of an equation and the submission of all values on that curve will be different right?...just confirming.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean when you say "submission of all values"?

Submission of all values of f(x) at infinitely small intervals.

Nope that doesn't form any analogy, or at least explicitly state the ambiguity.

What I mean to say here is that there are 2 things that can be computed as a submission of 'something' in the function.

This 'something' might be infinitely small area components determined by dx, and it might be the submission of all the values of f(x) made at infinity small intervals.

I've read many relating this submission of area to the submission of f(x), but what I think, this is not possible.
So I want to confirm this.

You know, I think you mean summation ! For the original question - as there are an infinite number of points of the curve, the summation of their values will diverge.

Sorry about the spelling.

The summation will different from the area you mean to say right?

What do you mean by the sum of an infinite collection of numbers?

Line integral?:-p

Its not an infinite collection of numbers...its a...sum of numbers in some sort of progression.

Then what are you talking about? What "summation of all values on a curve" are you associating with an integral?

Yes of course but normal integral...not line.

I mean...sum of all f(x) within a defined limit, for instance between a to b.

No one here knows what you mean by the "sum of all f(x)". I'm guessing that you are thinking along the lines of the riemann sum, but it is not clear. You are going to have to explain exactly what you mean by "summing all values" for us to be able to help you.

Give a concrete example of what you mean for a specific function. Say, integrating f(x)=x from 0 to 1.

aaa...thanks for notifying me about that.

Take a function y = x (simplest possible)

Suppose I want summation of f(x) (or y) from limits 5 - 11 on x.

So this will be 5+5.1+5.2+5.3......10.5+10.6+10.7+10.8+10.9+11

This won't give an accurate result...the intervals at which the addition should occur should be infinity small to give 100% accuracy.

So what I mean to say is when we integrate a function, this summation is not the result right? The summation will be the result in cause of line integral right?

So its not a Riemann sum.

dE_logics said:

This won't give an accurate result...the intervals at which the addition should occur should be infinity small to give 100% accuracy.

That summation is not the result for anything. Not regular integrals or line integrals or anything. If the spacing gets smaller and smaller, the sum will just get bigger and bigger unbounded, so in the limit as the spacing becomes small, the sum becomes infinity!

However, the sum is very very close to the reimann integral. In fact, all you have to do to make your sum into a riemann sum is to divide by the spacing. eg:
(5+5.1+5.2+5.3......10.5+10.6+10.7 +10.8+10.9+11)/(0.1)

In this way, even as the sum becomes infinitely big, the denominator becomes infinitely small in just the right proportions such that the riemann sums converge to the integral.

dE_logics said:
aaa...thanks for notifying me about that.

Take a function y = x (simplest possible)

Suppose I want summation of f(x) (or y) from limits 5 - 11 on x.

No, it wouldn't. That is the sum of x-values, not f(x) and it is done with a "step" of 0.1. You had said nothing about a particular step interval before.

So what I mean to say is when we integrate a function, this summation is not the result right? The summation will be the result in cause of line integral right?
The Riemann sum, of f(x) with a step of 0.1, between 5 and 11 would be (f(5)+ f(5.1)+ ...+ f(10.9))(0.1). Is that what you are asking about?

in my above post there is an error. It should be multiplying by the spacing as Halls says ,not dividing by it, of course.

Ok I got the answer...thanks a lot everyone! :approve:

Related to Area under the curve and its submission.

What is the "area under the curve" and why is it important in scientific research?

The "area under the curve" refers to the total area enclosed by a curve and the x-axis on a graph. It is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the relationship between two variables and can be used to calculate important parameters such as the mean, variance, and standard deviation.

How is the "area under the curve" calculated?

The area under the curve is typically calculated using mathematical integration techniques. For continuous curves, this involves finding the definite integral of the function represented by the curve. For discrete data, the area can be approximated by dividing the curve into smaller sections and using the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

What factors can affect the "area under the curve"?

The shape of the curve, the range of the x-axis, and the values of the variables represented by the curve can all affect the area under the curve. Additionally, the accuracy of the data points and the method used to calculate the area can also impact the results.

How is the "area under the curve" used in data analysis?

The area under the curve can be used to compare different data sets and determine which one has a larger or smaller overall value. It can also be used to identify patterns or trends in the data and make predictions about future values. In some cases, the area under the curve can also be used to calculate probabilities and make statistical inferences.

What is the significance of submitting the "area under the curve" in scientific research?

Submitting the area under the curve in scientific research is important because it allows other researchers to replicate and verify the results. It also provides a standardized way of presenting and comparing data, making it easier for others to understand and interpret the findings. Additionally, submitting the area under the curve allows for transparency and accountability in the research process.