Area Under Curve: Calculus Senior Year | Uses, Benefits

• Thread starter Periapsis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses the various uses of integration beyond its geometric interpretation, including its relationship with differentiation and its real-world applications, such as calculating distance traveled. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is mentioned as a key concept in understanding this relationship and making calculus more than just a tool for finding slopes and areas. The conversation also highlights the historical significance of this theorem in the development of calculus.
Periapsis
I enrolled in Calculus for my senior year in high school, so far loving it. Anyways, I have been reading ahead and figuring some things out, but on the topic of Integration, what can you use the area under the curve for? I've tried searching around in my textbook, and maybe just my google skills fail, but I can't seem to find a useable situation for the area under the curve?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't get hung up on the geometric aspect of integration. That's like saying the only thing differentiation is good for is to figure out the slope of a curve.

Differentiation and integration have uses FAR beyond those simple geometric interpretations.

If you go far enough ahead you'll come across the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus which states an intimate relationship between Integration and Differentiation. It basically says that given a function f(x) for which an antiderivative F(x) is known, then
$$ \int_a^b f(x) = F(b) - F(a)$$

A basic example in physics with real-world application that beautifully illustrates this relationship and shows a need for integration is as follows: An object tracks it's position and records it's total distance traveled at a given time to function d(t). By differentiating this with respect to t, you get it's velocity at any given time v(t)=d'(t). Now, say for some reason you only know the velocity function and need to get distance traveled between two times. You simply Integrate v(t) between those 2 points with respect to t and you have the change in distance.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much! I'll have to read into that Theorem

You're welcome! Glad I could help :)

I might point out that finding the area under the curve in a way that was very similar to "integration" goes back to Archimedes (though I don't recall anyone asking him what it was good for!) and finding slopes of tangent lines to Fermat. It was finding the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus", showing that these were "inverse" problems, that made Newton and Leibniz the "founders" of Calculus.

Basically, UNLESS you had the fundamental theorem of calculus, calculus would not have been of much interest.
:smile:

We would then have added up all the tiny bits of stuff whenever we needed to do that.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the area under a curve in calculus?

The area under a curve is used to determine the total amount of a quantity, such as distance or volume, over a specific interval. In calculus, it is used to find the exact value of a quantity that is changing continuously.

2. How is the area under a curve calculated in calculus?

In calculus, the area under a curve is calculated using integration. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and then evaluating it at the upper and lower bounds of the interval.

3. What are some practical applications of finding the area under a curve?

Finding the area under a curve has many practical applications, including determining the distance traveled by an object with changing velocity, finding the volume of an irregularly shaped object, and calculating the total revenue or profit of a business over a period of time.

4. What are the benefits of learning how to find the area under a curve in calculus?

Learning how to find the area under a curve in calculus can help develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also has practical applications in many fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to calculating the area under a curve in calculus?

One limitation of calculating the area under a curve in calculus is that it can only be done for functions that have an antiderivative. This means that not all functions can be integrated and thus, the area under their curves cannot be accurately calculated. Additionally, finding the correct bounds for the interval can be challenging and require advanced mathematical skills.