• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Areospace Development

• Thread starter MhsPv
  • Start date
Would anyone have any suggestions/coments as to what univeristies
have a good Areospace/Areonautical engineering programs? I have an interesst in designing aircraft. Can anyone recomend any schools?

The Air Force Academy and Naval Academy are good for aerospace engineering.

Would you still be interested in designing aircraft if that meant you'd be laid off on a regular basis throughout your career? I'd check into the supply & demand situation. Boeing lays people off so often that they lobbied the state to reduce unemployment benefits for those who worked less than 9 months (to reduce Boeing's unemployment insurance premiums). The employment of the AEs may be more steady than those of, say, machinists, and of course that's just one company. But I'd look before you leap.

Embry Riddle is a good school.

MhsPv said:
Would anyone have any suggestions/coments as to what univeristies
have a good Areospace/Areonautical engineering programs? I have an interesst in designing aircraft. Can anyone recomend any schools?
CalTech
MIT
Stanford (graduate school)
Embry Riddle
University of Texas (Austin)
University of Colorado (Boulder)
Purdue
University of Kansas

To name a few....

Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA has a good program (I go to WPI for Aerospace Engineering). It has a fairly new Aerospace program, but the hands-on projects and unique course schedules make for great experience. A lot of AE majors more interested in the Aeronautics side of things end up working in companies like Pratt & Whitney.