Arithmetic progression

So maybe you did not do anything wrong.In summary, the problem involves finding the value of ##d## in a finite arithmetic progression where ##S_n## and ##d## are both greater than 0. If the first member of the progression remains the same but ##d## increases by 2, ##S_n## will increase by 3 times. Similarly, if ##d## increases by 4, ##S_n## increases by 5 times. The solution to this problem is ##d=\frac{4}{3}##.
kaspis245

Homework Statement

A finite arithmetic progression is given such that ##S_n>0## and ##d>0##. If the first member of the progression remains the same but ##d## increases by 2, then ##S_n## increases 3 times. If the first member of the progression remains the same but ##d## increases 4 times, then ##S_n## increases 5 times. Find ##d##.

Homework Equations

##S_n=\frac{2a_1+d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{2a_1+2d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n=\frac{2a_1+d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n \cdot 3##
##\frac{2a_1+4d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n=\frac{2a_1+d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n \cdot 5##

When I try to solve this I get ##a_1=0## which is clearly not possible. Can somebody explain me what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kaspis245 said:

Homework Statement

A finite arithmetic progression is given such that ##S_n>0## and ##d>0##. If the first member of the progression remains the same but ##d## increases 2 times, then ##S_n## increases 3 times. If the first member of the progression remains the same but ##d## increases 4 times, then ##S_n## increases 5 times. Find ##d##.

Homework Equations

##S_n=\frac{2a_1+d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{2a_1+2d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n=\frac{2a_1+d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n \cdot 3##
##\frac{2a_1+4d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n=\frac{2a_1+d(n-1)}{2}\cdot n \cdot 5##

When I try to solve this I get ##a_1=0## which is clearly not possible. Can somebody explain me what am I doing wrong?
I also find ##a_1=0##.

Are you sure about the way you interpret the exercise?

Maybe it should be: "If ##d## is increased by 2, then ##S_n## is multiplied by 3", and similarly for the second one.

Sorry for the confusion. I've updated my problem statement. The first part of the problem is: "If the first member of the progression remains the same but ##d## increases by 2, then ##S_n## increases 3 times." Everything else is the same.

Now I got ##d=\frac{4}{3}##.

kaspis245 said:
Sorry for the confusion. I've updated my problem statement. The first part of the problem is: "If the first member of the progression remains the same but ##d## increases by 2, then ##S_n## increases 3 times." Everything else is the same.

Now I got ##d=\frac{4}{3}##.
So do I.

What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a fixed number, called the common difference, to the previous term. The first term in the sequence is denoted by 'a' and the common difference is denoted by 'd'.

What is the formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic progression is:
an = a + (n-1)d
where a is the first term, n is the term number, and d is the common difference.

How do you find the sum of an arithmetic progression?

The sum of an arithmetic progression can be found using the formula:
Sn = n/2 [2a + (n-1)d]
where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

What is the difference between an arithmetic progression and a geometric progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term, while a geometric progression is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number, called the common ratio.

How can arithmetic progressions be used in real life?

Arithmetic progressions can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the growth of a population, predicting future incomes based on current salary increases, and in financial investments to determine future returns.