Armageddon Obsession: Can't Imagine a World Without Me In It

• Thread starter icvotria
  • Start date
In summary, most people seem to be obsessed with Armageddon, and some believe that it is a good thing because it will be a one-off experience.
icvotria
Is anyone else totally obsessed with Armageddon? I am. Roll on, post-apocolyptic nightmare. In my arrogance, I can't imagine a world without me in it, and I would hate for my life to be anything less than ultimate. And I really don't want to miss it. Anyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org
OMG! I can't believe someone feels just like I do! This is really strange. Yes, ever since I saw Revelations I've been very interested in it. I mean, if you chooose any time in the history of the world that matches what the bible predicts for armegeddon, we are Living in it! It's only going to get worse, and somehow...I'm looking forward to it. Does that make me a sick, psychopathic weirdo? :uhh:

totallyclueless said:
Does that make me a sick, psychopathic weirdo? :uhh:
If you relish the thought that others not sharing your faith are to be submitted to unending torture, then yes, you are a psychopath.

Please note that I do not assume you fall into that group of psycho's; I hope you don't

Last edited:
totallyclueless said:
I mean, if you chooose any time in the history of the world that matches what the bible predicts for armegeddon, we are Living in it!
People have been saying that for the last 2,000 years. :tongue:

In my arrogance, I can't imagine a world without me in it

I think this gets to the core of the matter. In a similar fashion, by my own observations it seems that as people grow old they tend to expect the worst for the human race. My thought was that this is a natural response to our mortality. It is just too painful for many to imagine a world going along happily without them. By the same token, as suggested, this may be what drives people to expectations of armageddon. Do most people harbor a dark desire for the entire planet to die with them?

But then again the world will one day end. So in a roundabout way I guess this whole psychology could be like hoping to win the lottery. :biggrin:

I tend to think about such things a fair bit too, but i think that's just because I'm a natural worrier.

Ivan Seeking said:
...Do most people harbor a dark desire for the entire planet to die with them?
Women fantasize about their husbands dying... :uhh: Here's an entertaining link about the end of the world:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/endofworld.html

Ivan Seeking said:
I think this gets to the core of the matter. In a similar fashion, by my own observations it seems that as people grow old they tend to expect the worst for the human race. My thought was that this is a natural response to our mortality. It is just too painful for many to imagine a world going along happily without them. By the same token, as suggested, this may be what drives people to expectations of armageddon. Do most people harbor a dark desire for the entire planet to die with them?

But then again the world will one day end. So in a roundabout way I guess this whole psychology could be like hoping to win the lottery. :biggrin:
Now I'm not sure if it was something you posted or something I read elsewhere that proposed the idea that every generation experiences this in some fashion or another due to egocentrism. Not that long ago I did read an essay debunking end time myths so I'm not really sure.

Evo said:
People have been saying that for the last 2,000 years. :tongue:
Yeah! Just check
this out!

icvotria said:
Is anyone else totally obsessed with Armageddon? I am. Roll on, post-apocolyptic nightmare. In my arrogance, I can't imagine a world without me in it, and I would hate for my life to be anything less than ultimate. And I really don't want to miss it. Anyone else?

I strongly suggest that you get out more... and perhaps become a little less self absorbed?

Though it is good thy vies for an ultimate life to be remembered forever, surely not infamously.

I don't know...i just want something EXCITING to happen, you know...not that it has to be bad or anything...just something exciting...

totallyclueless said:
I don't know...i just want something EXCITING to happen, you know...not that it has to be bad or anything...just something exciting...

If you want excitement to happen, MAKE it happen!
Go parachuting
Race motorcycles
Pack-back round the world
Set up a band
Change jobs
Move town/country
Foster a child

Life is a fantastic one-off experience - how exciting is life compared to not living?

Don't waste it dreaming - you are a long time dead!

I have to agree with Adrian on this one. If you want something good-exciting to happen I think you're going to have to make it happen totallyclueless. Bad-exciting happens quite enough on it's own, and I'm inclined to think Armageddon would fall into the latter category (especially for anyone left behind). I've had several bad-exciting events in the short 35 years I've been on this planet (be careful what you wish for) and I'd rather make my own excitement now thank you. I'll be a new dad in about 8 weeks :biggrin: and I think that'll be quite some excitement for me (for about the next 18 years :rofl: )

SOS2008 said:
Here's an entertaining link about the end of the world:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/endofworld.html
That's bloody hilarious, and the voice just amplifies that. :rofl:

Adrian Baker said:
Go parachuting
Race motorcycles
Provoke Moonbear...

Adrian Baker said:
I strongly suggest that you get out more... and perhaps become a little less self absorbed?
Ooooooh! That was a little harsh. And quite unnecessary I thought. I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek, though the part about not wanting to miss it was true.

I love pretending that the end of the world is nigh, like when the weather is all epic, or when you walk around the streets on Boxing Day or January 1st and no one is around, or when those objective moments hit you and everything seems really surreal. Maybe it's cos everything seems so inane and pointless, things like shopping and working and gossiping and yadda yadda yadda. I know that there's a hell of a lot of exciting things to do and learn and see and I by no means ignore any of that, I think it's just that the 'end of the world' is like the ultimate in change and excitement, and that's why it's so appealing. Not in a realistic way, just in my imagination.

BTW, I've just realized that I didn't make myself very clear when I used the term Armageddon. I didn't mean the Revelationsy, whore of Babylon, carve 666 into my forehead and call me a minion of Satan Armageddon, I meant the huge comet hits the earth, polar ice caps melt and world is covered with water, Earth suddenly swings out of orbit and drifts of into space, post-war nuclear wasteland kind of thing.

icvotria said:
it's just that the 'end of the world' is like the ultimate in change and excitement
Naw... the end of the universe is the ultimate in change and excitement. The end of the world is just a warm-up act. :tongue:

icvotria said:
BTW, I've just realized that I didn't make myself very clear when I used the term Armageddon. I didn't mean the Revelationsy, whore of Babylon, carve 666 into my forehead and call me a minion of Satan Armageddon, I meant the huge comet hits the earth, polar ice caps melt and world is covered with water, Earth suddenly swings out of orbit and drifts of into space, post-war nuclear wasteland kind of thing.
Ah, you mean real catastrophes. :tongue:

icvotria said:
Ooooooh! That was a little harsh. And quite unnecessary I thought. I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek, though the part about not wanting to miss it was true.
Maybe, but too many 'end-of-the-world' fantasists who can't cope with the banality of their own life, or their insignificant existence seem to have a propensity for machine gunning classmates down, forming cults that end in suicide, or becoming meglomaniac leaders who lead 'their people' to war and death.

If you took offence, I'm sorry.

icvotria said:
I love pretending that the end of the world is nigh, like when the weather is all epic, or when you walk around the streets on Boxing Day or January 1st and no one is around, or when those objective moments hit you and everything seems really surreal. Maybe it's cos everything seems so inane and pointless, things like shopping and working and gossiping and yadda yadda yadda. I know that there's a hell of a lot of exciting things to do and learn and see and I by no means ignore any of that, I think it's just that the 'end of the world' is like the ultimate in change and excitement, and that's why it's so appealing. Not in a realistic way, just in my imagination.
How unfeeling a person are you to quote Boxing day? How many thousands of people were doing just this on Boxing day 2004. Children I teach lost friends and family in the Tsunami disaster. No, it wasn't exciting for them.

icvotria said:
And who would you like the huge comet to hit exactly? Everyone else except you and your family?

No, perhaps I shouldn't have apologised above.

Hmmm. You've taken all this way too seriously and if I hadn't taken offence before, I have now. If you want to slag me off further then at least goddamn PM me.

Adrian, icvotria was just expressing a feeling and wasn't wishing for the demise of other people. I do think you may have taken what she said a bit too hard.

In her first post she said "in my arrogance" which I took to mean that part of us (well most of us) that has an ego, this part of her felt this way. I don't think she was out of line in any way.

Evo said:
Adrian, icvotria was just expressing a feeling and wasn't wishing for the demise of other people. I do think you may have taken what she said a bit too hard.

In her first post she said "in my arrogance" which I took to mean that part of us (well most of us) that has an ego, this part of her felt this way. I don't think she was out of line in any way.

I'm happy to accept that Evo, but to talk about a Boxing day (December 26th) armageddon after we have just witnessed one of the worst natural disasters in recent history on that very day, is to my mind a bit much. Shouldn't we have a little bit of sensitivity towards others on this forum?

Anyway, I'm happy to accept your point above... Let's move on.

Adrian Baker said:
I'm happy to accept that Evo, but to talk about a Boxing day (December 26th) armageddon after we have just witnessed one of the worst natural disasters in recent history on that very day, is to my mind a bit much. Shouldn't we have a little bit of sensitivity towards others on this forum?
I've heard of Boxing Day, but being American had no idea when it is and yes, we should all be sensitive towards others (in both directions) better to clarify a persons true intent rather than guessing, then you can safely rip them to shreds with a clear conscience. :smile:

I don't like ripping people to shreds Evo. I've sent a PM to icvotria apologising for being quite so harsh, but the 'boxing day' comment was just a little close to home.

I should perhaps have alerted her by PM to the fact that her comment could appear very offensive, and she might then perhaps have modified it. As I said, let's move on and hope that this thread quickly disappears.

Hey - we all come here for fun after all!

There's nothing wrong or unusual with indulging oneself in a bit of escapism; after all, why has, for example, an apocalyptic book like "Lord of the Rings" got such a large following?

I think that when we mentally subvert or demolish the usual world order about us, what we're basically doing is a sort of mental clean-up thing; we get rid of old patterns of thought in a fanciful manner in order to allow the growth of new patterns.

Anyway, that's my view, at least.

Danger said:
That's bloody hilarious, and the voice just amplifies that. :rofl:
I just watched that again. At first I found it rather odd, but on repeat it became funnier. I noticed little things, like the French chick has armpit hair--that kind of thing. :rofl:

SOS2008 said:
I just watched that again. At first I found it rather odd, but on repeat it became funnier. I noticed little things, like the French chick has armpit hair--that kind of thing. :rofl:

I thought it was very funny! Forwarding followed immediately after the first viewing. :biggrin:

they said in the news that Big-Ben clock in London stopped working,

nuke a country that can't defend itself like iraq. a nice mushroom cloud would make a charming desktop picture.

no seriously, this is one of those things that is only good as a fantasy, like being humiliated by a sensual, commanding woman then being made to kiss her boots. obviously the chance to test oneself against such extreme conditions appeals to the ego if you see yourself as a survivor. assuming your surviving there would be a great opportunity to rebuild society with many of the present flaws removed. of course, that assumes not only your surviving but your commanding, ahh what a pleasant daydream.

now picture all the billions of people screaming as they die. a billion is too many to see, so see an ocean of people horizon to horizon and zoom in on one. it's someone close to you, someone you love. picture them, hear them scream and gurgle as the flesh is burned from their face.

doesn't seem so appealing anymore does it? no doubt you'll still wonder time to time, "what if?" but as for desiring it to happen, very simple to guilt trip one-self out of, and with good reason.

*bump* for this very old post.

HI!

-- heckler

Whenever I see a zombie flick I get scared of the Zombocaust actually happening.

Poop-Loops said:
Whenever I see a zombie flick I get scared of the Zombocaust actually happening.

Whenever I see a zombie flick, it just reminds me, to my bitter disappointment, that Tom Cruise is still alive.

Adrian Baker said:
Go parachuting
Race motorcycles
Pack-back round the world
Set up a band
Change jobs
Move town/country
Foster a child

Life is a fantastic one-off experience - how exciting is life compared to not living?

Don't waste it dreaming - you are a long time dead!

I sometimes find myself becoming excited when thinking about the world in peril. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, but I can't help it. I think that is may have to do with how easy life is these days. Before civilization, we has to fight to survive constantly. We had to hunt and search for food, we had to make things out of scratch etc. Now days with electricity, modern employment, living in a well of Nation; it is just too easy to survive. I know you could just go to another country that is poor or whatever, but that's not the same. I would rather go back in time and live before civilization.

The thing is, you go to school and spend your development time learning facts. Wouldn't you rather spend that time learning to hunt, fish, make things out of scratch, farm, learn the seasons and the environment you live in. It would be fun to be so in tune with the world around you. Now days you end up getting a job maybe in an office filling out forms. You do the same thing everyday and it in no way bennefits you except in that you make money. You make enough money to survive and be comfortable, but it is just feels unatural.

I think the next great adventure to be a part of will be the first off-world (and non-orbiting) colony. Anyone here know when the first manned mission to Mars is going to be? And if they need a mathematical physicist along for the ride?

Not so sure...

Ivan Seeking said:

Ivan, why do you believe the world will one day end? How can you be so sure that this will actually happen or please explain why you believe it will end?
I need enlightening - megan

Worlds

NeoDevin said:
I think the next great adventure to be a part of will be the first off-world (and non-orbiting) colony. Anyone here know when the first manned mission to Mars is going to be? And if they need a mathematical physicist along for the ride?

Not to get off topic, but am i the only person who believes there is another "earth" out there? I mean exactly like ours, with humans, just like us? I brought this up to my professor and he looked at me like i had two heads! Why does that sound so unrealistic? Why can't that be?
megan

<h2>1. What is "Armageddon Obsession: Can't Imagine a World Without Me In It"? </h2><p> "Armageddon Obsession: Can't Imagine a World Without Me In It" is a psychological term used to describe an individual's intense preoccupation with the idea of a catastrophic event, such as the end of the world, and their belief that they will play a significant role in it.</p><h2>2. What causes someone to develop an "Armageddon Obsession"? </h2><p> There is no one specific cause for the development of an "Armageddon Obsession". It can be influenced by a combination of factors, such as personal experiences, beliefs, and fears. Some individuals may also be more susceptible to this type of obsession due to underlying mental health conditions.</p><h2>3. Is "Armageddon Obsession" a common phenomenon? </h2><p> While there is no concrete data on the prevalence of "Armageddon Obsession", it is considered to be a relatively rare phenomenon. However, with the rise of media coverage and discussions about potential catastrophic events, it is becoming more commonly recognized.</p><h2>4. How does "Armageddon Obsession" affect an individual's daily life? </h2><p> "Armageddon Obsession" can significantly impact an individual's daily life, as it can consume their thoughts and behaviors. This can lead to difficulties in relationships, work, and overall functioning. In severe cases, it may also lead to isolation and self-destructive behaviors.</p><h2>5. Can "Armageddon Obsession" be treated? </h2><p> Yes, "Armageddon Obsession" can be treated through therapy and medication. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, in particular, has shown to be effective in addressing the underlying thoughts and behaviors associated with this obsession. It is crucial for individuals to seek professional help if their obsession is significantly impacting their daily life.</p>

1. What is "Armageddon Obsession: Can't Imagine a World Without Me In It"?

"Armageddon Obsession: Can't Imagine a World Without Me In It" is a psychological term used to describe an individual's intense preoccupation with the idea of a catastrophic event, such as the end of the world, and their belief that they will play a significant role in it.

2. What causes someone to develop an "Armageddon Obsession"?

There is no one specific cause for the development of an "Armageddon Obsession". It can be influenced by a combination of factors, such as personal experiences, beliefs, and fears. Some individuals may also be more susceptible to this type of obsession due to underlying mental health conditions.

3. Is "Armageddon Obsession" a common phenomenon?

While there is no concrete data on the prevalence of "Armageddon Obsession", it is considered to be a relatively rare phenomenon. However, with the rise of media coverage and discussions about potential catastrophic events, it is becoming more commonly recognized.

4. How does "Armageddon Obsession" affect an individual's daily life?

"Armageddon Obsession" can significantly impact an individual's daily life, as it can consume their thoughts and behaviors. This can lead to difficulties in relationships, work, and overall functioning. In severe cases, it may also lead to isolation and self-destructive behaviors.

5. Can "Armageddon Obsession" be treated?

Yes, "Armageddon Obsession" can be treated through therapy and medication. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, in particular, has shown to be effective in addressing the underlying thoughts and behaviors associated with this obsession. It is crucial for individuals to seek professional help if their obsession is significantly impacting their daily life.