Arrow- Finding the point of impact

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving an archer shooting an arrow at a target. It includes determining the time of flight, the point of impact on the target, and the final velocity and angle of the arrow. The equations x=vcos\theta, v_y^2 = v_oy^2 + 2a_yy, and v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2 are used to find the answers. The person initially struggles with part b but eventually comes to the correct solution.
thebestrc
[SOLVED] Arrow- Finding the point of impact

Homework Statement

An archer shoots an arrow horizontally parallel to the ground at a height of 1.5 m,
above the ground, aimed directly at the centre of a target marked on a vertical wood panel situated 30 m from the archer. The arrow is released with an initial velocity of 75ms-1
Assuming air resistance to be negligible, determine (a) the time of flight of the arrow, (b) the point where the arrow hits the vertical wood panel, and (c) the final velocity and angle of impact of the arrow as it hits the vertical wood panel. Ignore the effects of any cross winds and arrow spin.

Homework Equations

x=[tex]vcos\theta[/tex] to work out time
[tex]v_y^2 = v_oy^2 + 2a_yy[/tex] for vertical velocity
[tex]v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2[/tex]
[tex]tan\theta[/tex] angle of impact

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already wokred out the time of flight of the arrow by dividing the horizontal range by the initial horizontal velocity and i got 0.4s. The part I'm struggling on is part b. Using the formula y=[tex]vsin\theta t - 1/2at^2 [/tex] i got 0.98m. I don't think its right though, I asssumed a to be -9.81. For part (c) i worked out the vertical velocity , used pythagoras to get the resultant velocity and then used tan to find the angle. Could someone please tell if I'm doing the right thing for each part of the question. Although I'm pretty sure I've got it right for parts a&c

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part b the arrow only has an acceleration due to gravity. I did not get the same answer as you did. For part c you have the correct method.

Stupid me. I worked it out wrong. the answer should be 0.785m(3sf). [tex]vsin\theta t - 1/2at^2 [/tex] theta = 0 because its horizontal. a=-9.81 t=0.4s insert into equation and the answer should be 0.7848m.

thebestrc said:
Stupid me. I worked it out wrong. the answer should be 0.785m(3sf). [tex]vsin\theta t - 1/2at^2 [/tex] theta = 0 because its horizontal. a=-9.81 t=0.4s insert into equation and the answer should be 0.7848m.

Very good. All sorted?

yes .thank you again. I don't know what's wrong with me today it's always the simple ones that put me off.

1. What is the purpose of finding the point of impact of an arrow?

The purpose of finding the point of impact of an arrow is to determine where the arrow hit the target, which is important for accuracy and adjusting future shots. It can also help identify any issues with the arrow or bow.

2. How is the point of impact of an arrow determined?

The point of impact of an arrow is determined by examining the location of the arrow on the target and comparing it to the intended point of aim. This can be done visually or by using specialized tools such as arrow rests or laser sights.

3. What factors can affect the point of impact of an arrow?

Several factors can affect the point of impact of an arrow, including wind, distance, arrow weight, bow weight and draw length, and the skill and technique of the archer. Environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity may also play a role.

4. How can I improve my accuracy in finding the point of impact of an arrow?

To improve accuracy in finding the point of impact of an arrow, it is important to practice regularly and become familiar with your equipment. Making sure your bow and arrows are properly tuned and using consistent shooting techniques can also help improve accuracy.

5. What should I do if the point of impact of my arrow is consistently off?

If the point of impact of your arrow is consistently off, it may indicate an issue with your equipment or form. It is important to troubleshoot and make any necessary adjustments, such as checking for damaged arrows or adjusting the sight on your bow. Seeking guidance from a more experienced archer or coach may also be beneficial.