Article on texture generation - can't get the math

In summary, the conversation discusses an article on procedural texture generation using an example of wavelet noise. The algorithm involves taking a noise-like photo, performing a 2D DFT, and reconstructing the image with wavelet noise. The power band coefficients represent the magnitude of the Fourier coefficients at different frequency bands and are calculated by summing the magnitudes in each band. This method has been used in various applications and a working implementation can be found online or by contacting the authors. The conversation also includes a question about the formula for the coefficients and provides a breakdown and explanation of each component.
Artlav
There is an article on procedural texture generation by example.
I'm trying to implement it, and got lost in the mathematics.
http://graphics.cs.kuleuven.be/publications/LVLD10PISTE/

The outline of the algorithm is thus:
We start with a noise-like photo.
tONUt63.png

Do a 2D DFT of it:
lWHUVy8.png

Compute the power band coefficients and reconstruct the image with wavelet noise:
AcMa4IH.png

Wavelet noise is band limited, which makes it a good base block for such synthesis:
54YFoLv.png

That's the theory.

In practice, i can't figure out the formula for the coefficients.

Formula (E is the input image):
dageAzm.png

Definition of the power band:
6vq2mqv.png

What does it mean?
Should i sum all the magnitudes of the elements in each band?
This gives me nonsense if i divide it by the amount of elements, and randomly unscaled value if i don't (that's the above picture, guesstimately scaled).
If i sum the real parts of the elements, then i get wildly wrong and out of scale figures. Normalising them also gives me something plausible.
And so on, for any way i can think of.

I guess i misunderstand something in the notation.
Does the integral sign means summing here?
Or how should i read it?

That's basically the question - what does it mean?
Bonus question - anyone heard of this method being used somewhere? A working implementation to peek at would be nice.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. I am familiar with the concept of procedural texture generation and have also come across this particular article before. Let me try to help you understand the formula and how to approach implementing it.

First, let's break down the formula and understand each component:

1. E is the input image, which in this case is the noise-like photo.
2. The integral sign does indeed mean summing here. In this case, we are summing over all the pixels in the image.
3. The function F is the Fourier transform of the input image E.
4. The function W is a filter function, which is used to limit the frequencies in the image. This is what gives the wavelet noise its characteristic band-limited nature.
5. The function G is the inverse Fourier transform of the filtered image, which gives us the final reconstructed image.

Now, to answer your question about the power band coefficients, they represent the magnitude of the Fourier coefficients at different frequency bands. In simpler terms, they tell us how much of each frequency is present in the image.

To calculate these coefficients, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Take the Fourier transform of the input image E.
2. Multiply the resulting Fourier coefficients with the filter function W.
3. Take the inverse Fourier transform of the filtered coefficients.
4. Calculate the magnitude of the resulting coefficients.
5. Sum the magnitudes of the coefficients in each frequency band, as defined by the filter function W.

To answer your bonus question, yes, this method has been used in various applications such as texture synthesis, image manipulation, and even in computer graphics for creating realistic textures. As for a working implementation, I suggest searching online for sample code or reaching out to the authors of the article for assistance.

I hope this helps in your understanding and implementation of the algorithm. Good luck!

1. What is texture generation?

Texture generation is the process of creating digital images or patterns that simulate the appearance of real-world textures, such as wood, marble, or fabric. It is commonly used in computer graphics to enhance the realism of virtual environments and objects.

2. How does texture generation work?

Texture generation involves using mathematical algorithms to generate a series of values that determine the color, shape, and distribution of pixels in an image. These values are then mapped onto a 2D or 3D surface to create a textured appearance.

3. What is the purpose of texture generation?

The main purpose of texture generation is to add visual interest and realism to computer-generated graphics. It can also help reduce the amount of storage space and processing power needed to render detailed textures, making it a valuable tool in game development and other computer graphics applications.

4. What are some common challenges in texture generation?

One of the main challenges in texture generation is finding the right balance between realism and efficiency. Generating highly detailed textures can be computationally expensive, so algorithms must be optimized to produce visually appealing results without slowing down the rendering process.

5. How can one improve their understanding of the math behind texture generation?

One way to improve understanding of the math behind texture generation is to study and practice with different algorithms and techniques used in texture generation. There are also many online resources and tutorials available that explain the math concepts in a more accessible way for those without a strong background in mathematics.