Artinian rings are noetherian, why does this make sense?

• A
  • Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, an Artinian ring is a type of ring in abstract algebra with a finite length as a module over itself. A Noetherian ring is a type of ring that satisfies the ascending chain condition for ideals. It makes sense for Artinian rings to also be Noetherian because they both have a finite structure. The implications of an Artinian ring being Noetherian include simplifying the structure and properties of the ring. However, not all Artinian rings are Noetherian, as the properties of finite length and satisfying the ascending chain condition for ideals are related but not equivalent.
PsychonautQQ
Can somebody explain why this shouldn't surprise me? Apparently it's a corollary of the Akizuki–Hopkins–Levitzki theorem but the proof of that theorem isn't helping me really understand what's going on.

Nope. The problem is that the standard proof for why artinian rings are noetherian is a corolarry to a theorem that is beyond me at this point; I'm looking for both an independent proof and an intuitive understanding.

1. What is an Artinian ring?

An Artinian ring is a type of ring in abstract algebra that has a finite length as a module over itself. This means that there is a finite chain of submodules that eventually reaches the entire ring. In other words, the ring can be broken down into a finite number of simple modules.

2. What is a Noetherian ring?

A Noetherian ring is a type of ring that satisfies the ascending chain condition for ideals. This means that for any ascending chain of ideals in the ring, there exists a finite number of steps before the chain stabilizes and becomes equal to a single ideal.

3. Why does it make sense for Artinian rings to also be Noetherian?

This makes sense because both Artinian and Noetherian rings have a finite structure, which means they have a limited number of submodules or ideals. Therefore, it is logical for an Artinian ring to also satisfy the ascending chain condition for ideals.

4. What are the implications of an Artinian ring being Noetherian?

If an Artinian ring is also Noetherian, it means that the ring has both a finite length and satisfies the ascending chain condition for ideals. This has many important implications, such as simplifying the structure and properties of the ring, making it easier to study and understand.

5. Are all Artinian rings Noetherian?

No, not all Artinian rings are Noetherian. While the properties of finite length and satisfying the ascending chain condition for ideals are related, they are not equivalent. There are examples of Artinian rings that are not Noetherian, such as the Weyl algebra.