Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

As if I didn't have enough to worry about

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I live in a very rural area. Tonight I was talking to my nextdoor neighbor and she told me that the woman down the street had heard her chihuahua screaming and she looked out the back door to see a mountain lion with her dog in it's mouth. She watched in horror as her dog was ripped apart and eaten.

Nearby, a cow was just found mutilated. I heard weird cries from a cow this morning, now I know why. :frown:

Great, I have mountain lions stalking my house. I have closed all my windows downstairs, but I am still looking for all the stray cats I care for. :frown:

I have come across mountain lion footprints before when hiking near my home, but I didn't think they would come this far.

If I suddenly disappear, you know why. :tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2004 #2
  4. Apr 25, 2004 #3
    Guess whats for dinner! :) Yummy big cats.

You should do somethingl like the Modest Proposal by Swift...

Raingun those cats to death and then eat them or sell them on the fresh meat market... You can start like the new dish with Lion meats or something like that, export it to Europe and those countries for exotic recipties. :)

Anyways, dispose of them somehow...

Or... Train them! Beat them to do your dirty work.

5. Apr 25, 2004 #4

Evo

Yep, that's it meteor.

"When stalking and attacking its prey, the puma makes good use of its extrordinary jumping abilities, with running long jumps sometimes exceeding 45 feet and vertical leaps of up to 15 feet. This jumping ability results from a combination of powerful rear leg muscles and an optimum overall size and weight. Exploding from a crouched stalking position, the puma typically emerges from ambush in two or three great bounds and seizes its prey before it has time to escape. The puma generally drags its prey to a place of safety before eating."

I told my daughter to call me from the driveway on her cell phone and keep honking her horn.

I'm considering getting a gun. :frown:

Ebolamonk3y, want to come over for lunch? :biggrin:

6. Apr 25, 2004 #5
    oh Evo, do be careful, don't wander too far from home and bring a stunt gun with you.

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6

Evo

Polly, I'm making light of it, but it is really scaring me. These aren't things to be messed with. Animal control is trying to catch them, but they are very elusive. They strike quickly and silently. :frown:

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7
    They should hire the people who do nature shows to locate that cat. Those people track the lives of the same animals for years just for an hour special, you'd think that the same level of tracking would be found in animal control people. Don't they know where they like to sleep or anything?

9. Apr 25, 2004 #8
    Don't worry Evo. From my place up in the tree I can see right into your bedroom. I'll make sure the mountain lion doesn't bother you. You are in no danger from the cat. You keep using the plural, but mountain lions are very solitary. So stop and think about what it is you are scared of -one kitty cat out there who's biggest accomplishment is that is was able to over power the taco bell dog. If I were you I'd be excited at the prospect of actually seeing a mountain lion. There aren't a lot out there and they are very shy creatures, but they are beautiful. Unless you date someone named Sigfried you don't have anything to worry about. It would be a good idea to keep an eye on your pets, don't leave food outside, and pick up a camera instead of a gun. Heck, if I were you I'd be a lot more scared of me than anything else.
    ps you left the light on in the kitchen.

10. Apr 26, 2004 #9

Evo

Well, it killed a cow too. I noticed I didn't see any horses around today. I guess people either have moved them or they're being kept in the stable.
    Not in my driveway. :eek:
    Am I supposed to hit the cat with the camera or just confuse it by snapping pics?
    :biggrin: I am.
    Note to self - close curtains.

11. Apr 26, 2004 #10
    Delighted! I'll bring my AK47 for the hunt as well! :) Red Army mafia.

12. Apr 26, 2004 #11
    I wouldn't recommend a gun. Personally, I'd use a sword, but that's just me.

13. Apr 27, 2004 #12

Njorl

Science Advisor

I would not advise using a camera instead of a gun. While most animals, most predators even, don't bother people, mountain lions will.

Njorl

14. Apr 27, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

I dunno, you could get quite a hefty swing on a camera, I would try tickling its belly and then while it's laughing, club it with a tree branch. Then put it in a ferocious pose and have it sent to the taxidermist.

15. Apr 27, 2004 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jimmy, I don't think the belly rub thing will work.. unless Evo sticks herself in one of those dog-bite training suits everytime she goes out.. hey! that might just work! I really need one of those too.. I've got a main coon at home and she nearly had me standing on the kitchen sink once, luckily the kitchen chair was closer by.. :biggrin: we're having the liver of this little kitty checked out to find an explanation for her sudden bouts of madness, the suit might still work for you Evo :cool:

ps. I've heard the suit works really well to ward off tribdogs too..

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  16. Apr 27, 2004 #15
    I don't know if that's true or not. Nobody's ever wanted to ward me off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?