As the ball roles down the hill

• Thread starter madmarwick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Hill
In summary, the speed of an object can either increase or decrease, while its acceleration decreases or increases depending on various factors such as the gradient of the hill and the presence of losses. Both speed and acceleration can remain constant or decrease depending on the situation. It is important to provide an attempt and include losses in the question to get the correct answer.
madmarwick
a. Its speed increases and acceleration decreases
b. Its speed decreases and acceleration increases
c. Both increase
d. Both remain constant
e. Both decrease

Can anyone help with this little problem please?

I'm new to this forum thing. So any advice on etiquette would be appreciated.

Regards, Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you need to provide your attempt first.

The answer I want isn't there if we're assuming no losses, so I take it we're to include losses in the question?

jarednjames said:
Well you need to provide your attempt first.

The answer I want isn't there if we're assuming no losses, so I take it we're to include losses in the question?

Hi Jared, thanks for the reply. These were my initial thoughts:

"If the hill is at a constant gradient I think the answer would be 'a' (Its speed increases and acceleration decreases) as acceleration will reach a maximum and then start to decrease and the ball will reach constant velocity.

If the hill's gradient decreases as it reaches the bottom then I think the answer would be 'a' then 'b' as velocity would increase first and acceleration decrease then as gradient fell acceleration would increase negatively (deceleration) and velocity would decrease."

I'm very rusty so I may have it cmpletely wrong.

Chris

So it looks like we're using losses.

In which case, A is correct for the reason you gave.

Thanks Jared

1. What is the scientific explanation behind a ball rolling down a hill?

As a ball rolls down a hill, it is experiencing the force of gravity pulling it towards the center of the Earth. This force causes the ball to accelerate and gain speed. Additionally, the shape and texture of the ball and the surface of the hill can also affect the speed and direction of the ball's movement.

2. Why does a ball roll faster down a steeper hill?

A ball will roll faster down a steeper hill because the force of gravity is pulling it at a steeper angle, causing it to accelerate more quickly. This results in a greater velocity and a faster rolling speed.

3. How does the weight of a ball affect its rolling speed down a hill?

The weight of a ball does not significantly affect its rolling speed down a hill. The force of gravity acts on all objects equally, regardless of their weight. However, a heavier ball may have more momentum, which can affect its movement down the hill.

4. Can a ball roll up a hill?

Yes, a ball can roll up a hill, but only if it has enough energy to overcome the force of gravity pulling it downwards. This can be achieved through external forces, such as a person pushing the ball or the ball being launched with enough initial velocity.

5. How is the motion of a ball rolling down a hill related to Newton's laws of motion?

The motion of a ball rolling down a hill can be explained by Newton's first and second laws of motion. Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force is the force of gravity. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. As the ball rolls down the hill, the force of gravity causes it to accelerate and gain speed, while its mass remains constant.