[ASK] Balloon Being Blown

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary: The actual limit between pre-calculus and calculus varies depending on the curriculum and education system. Generally, pre-calculus covers topics such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, while calculus involves more advanced concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.
Monoxdifly
MHB
Icha is going to blow a sphere-shaped rubber balloon. She uses a pump to infuse the air with the volume addition rate \(\displaystyle 40cm^3/s\). If the radius addition rate is 20 cm/s, the radius of the sphere after being blown is ...
A. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt\pi}\) cm
B. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\) cm
C. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2\sqrt\pi}\) cm
D. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3\sqrt\pi}\) cm
E. \(\displaystyle \pi\) cm

Please give me some hints. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
Icha is going to blow a sphere-shaped rubber balloon. She uses a pump to infuse the air with the volume addition rate \(\displaystyle 40cm^3/s\). If the radius addition rate is 20 cm/s, the radius of the sphere after being blown is ...
A. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt\pi}\) cm
B. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\) cm
C. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2\sqrt\pi}\) cm
D. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3\sqrt\pi}\) cm
E. \(\displaystyle \pi\) cm

Please give me some hints. Thanks.

take the derivative of the sphere volume formula w/respect to time ...

\(\displaystyle 40cm^3/s=4\pi r^2(20cm/s)\)
\(\displaystyle 2cm^2=4\pi r^2\)
\(\displaystyle r^2=\frac{1cm^2}{2\pi}\)
\(\displaystyle r=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}cm\)?

For a sphere of radius $r$, the volume is:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\)

Differentiating w.r.t time $t$, we have:

\(\displaystyle \d{V}{t}=4\pi r^2\d{r}{t}\implies r=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\d{V}{t}}{\pi\d{r}{t}}}\)

Plugging in the given numbers, we have:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{40\frac{\text{cm}^3}{\text{s}}}{20\pi\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{s}}}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\text{ cm}\quad\checkmark\)

I will move this thread to our Calculus forum. :)

MarkFL said:
I will move this thread to our Calculus forum. :)

I thought this was pre-calculus because it was a question in high school graduation exam.

Monoxdifly said:
I thought this was pre-calculus because it was a question in high school graduation exam.

It is a related rate problem involving differential calculus (so that's why I moved it). Many places teach elementary calculus in high school. :)

What is the actual limit between pre-calculus and calculus, anyway?

1. How does the balloon being blown experiment work?

The balloon being blown experiment works by using air pressure to inflate a balloon. When you blow into the balloon, you are increasing the volume of air inside the balloon. This increase in volume results in an increase in air pressure inside the balloon, causing it to expand and inflate.

2. What materials do I need for the balloon being blown experiment?

You will need a balloon, a straw, and some air to perform the balloon being blown experiment. Optionally, you can also use a pump or your own breath to blow into the balloon.

3. Why does the balloon get bigger when I blow into it?

The balloon gets bigger when you blow into it because of the increase in air pressure inside the balloon. As the air pressure increases, the balloon's elastic rubber stretches and expands to accommodate the increased volume of air.

4. Can I use other gases besides air for the balloon being blown experiment?

Yes, you can use other gases besides air for the balloon being blown experiment. Different gases will have different effects on the balloon. For example, using helium will make the balloon float, while using carbon dioxide will make the balloon sink.

5. How does the balloon being blown experiment demonstrate the properties of air?

The balloon being blown experiment demonstrates the properties of air, such as its ability to take up space and exert pressure. When you blow into the balloon, you are showing that air can be compressed and that it exerts pressure as it expands. Additionally, the experiment also shows that air has weight and can be manipulated to cause movement, as seen when the balloon flies around the room.