1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asking For Detailed Integrals Solutions

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would like a detailed solution of following Integrals:

[tex]\int^{z_{2}}_{z_{1}} 1/ \left(s^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{1/2} dz[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]1+tan^{2} \theta = sec^{2} \theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int 1/ \left(s^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{1/2} dz = \int 1/ \left[s\left(1+ \left(z/s \right)^{2}\right)^{1/2} \right] dz[/tex]

Let

[tex]z = s \tan \theta \rightarrow dz = s \sec^{2} \theta d \theta[/tex]
    [tex]\theta = tg^{-1} \left(z/s\right) [/tex]

Then

[tex]\int^{z_{2}}_{z_{1}} 1/ \left[s\left(1+ \left(z/s \right)^{2}\right)^{1/2} \right] dz = \int^{\theta_{2}}_{\theta_{1}} s \sec^{2} \theta/ \left[s\left(1+tan^{2} \theta \right)^{1/2} \right] d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\theta_{2}}_{\theta_{1}} s \sec^{2}\theta / \left[s \sec \theta \right] d\theta = \int^{tg^{-1} \left(z_{2}/s\right)}_{tg^{-1} \left(z_{1}/s\right)} sec \theta d \theta[/tex]

However this not give me the answer i need here (i checked final solution):

[tex]\int^{z_{1}}_{z_{2}} 1/ \left(s^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{1/2} dz = \left[ln\left(z^{2}+\sqrt{z^{2}+s^{2}\right)}\right]\right|^{z_{2}}_{z_{1}}[/tex]

Please, help!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2
    Another one:

[tex]\int u/ \left(R^{2}+r^{2}+2Rru\right)^{1/2} du[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. Jun 25, 2009 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

Are you sure that's not a correct answer? Just because your solution looks different doesn't mean it's not the same!

For instance, note that the hyperbolic trig function sinh and cosh satisfy

[tex]1 + \sinh^2x = \cosh^2x[/tex],

so you could just as well make the substitution [itex]z = s\sinh\theta[/itex]. Your answer would then be in terms of an inverse hyperbolic function - which can be expressed in terms of a logarithm. I would suspect that's why your answer doesn't match what you looked up.

Edit: this refers to the integral in the first post.

Also, if you want to do fractions, you use: \frac{numerator}{denominator}
    Just be careful with the sqiggly brackets when doing complex fractions, as missing just one of those tends to completely ruin the output (my latex pdf compiler won't even compile anything if that happens)

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4

zcd

you can simplify s sec^2 theta/ s sec theta into
    [tex]
    \int^{\theta_{2}}_{\theta_{1}} \sec \theta \right] d\theta
    [/tex]
    which equals ln|sec(theta) + tan(theta)|, and then reverse substitute the z.

6. Jun 25, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since you are integrating with respect to z, and assuming that R, r, and u are not functions of z, what you have there is the integral of a constant. It doesn't matter that the constant is complicated by having a radical in the denominator.

In other words,
    [tex]
    \int \frac{dz}{K} = \frac{1}{K}z + C
    [/tex]

On the other hand, if this is what you got after doing a substitution, then you didn't go far enough, since you have both u and dz. When you do a substitution, your new integral should not have any of the old variables in it, including the differential.

7. Jun 26, 2009 #6
    Sorry, i made a typing mistake here, the integral is:

[tex]\int u/ \left(R^{2}+r^{2}+2Rru\right)^{1/2} du[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  8. Jun 26, 2009 #7
    I cannot deal with arctg z in the argument of sec ( ). Its necessary to my purpose find a solution without arctg or sec ( ). However Mute's suggestion would be usefull, i ll try this one and made another attempt.

9. Jun 26, 2009 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would start with this substitution: w = R2 + r2 + 2Rru. Another one I would try if the first one didn't get me anywhere is w = (R2 + r2 + 2Rru)^(1/2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook