Asking for time to decide on an offer of acceptance

In summary, the speaker received an offer of acceptance from a graduate program and is waiting for the official offer letter. They also have an offer from another school and are considering both options before making a decision. They reached out to the first program to ask for more time to decide and the program was accommodating.
ian_dsouza
I just received an offer of acceptance from a graduate program yesterday (May 17th). I think the offer letter is a little generic. It says that I should get back to them "ideally between April 15th and April 30th" - which is way past.

I have another school which got back to me 10 days ago saying that the department has recommended me for admission and has sent this recommendation to the central graduate office for approval. The graduate office needs to send the official offer letter. I contacted the department yesterday and they said i should hear back from the office only next week.

The thing is I really want to consider both schools before I can commit, although I'm strongly leaning towards the second one. I do not yet know when the first school expects a reply back from me. I want to contact the first school but I'm not sure how to address the situation. Should I simply ask the first when they expect a reply or should I directly ask them for a certain amount of time to decide?

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on your acceptances! I think it's entirely appropriate to contact your first program, thank them, note that the date in the offer letter is obviously not relevant, and suggest your own date. Two weeks ought to be seen as reasonable.

Thanks! Did so asking for two weeks. They were okay with it.

1. What is the best way to ask for time to decide on an offer of acceptance?

The best way to ask for time to decide on an offer of acceptance is to be honest and direct with the person making the offer. Let them know that you are grateful for the opportunity and need some time to carefully consider the offer before making a decision.

2. How much time should I ask for to decide on an offer of acceptance?

The amount of time you should ask for to decide on an offer of acceptance depends on the specific circumstances and your personal needs. It is important to communicate your timeline to the person making the offer and try to negotiate a reasonable amount of time that works for both parties.

3. Is it okay to ask for an extension if I need more time to decide?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for an extension if you need more time to decide on an offer of acceptance. However, it is important to be considerate of the other party's time and try to communicate your needs as soon as possible.

4. What if I need more information before making a decision?

If you need more information before making a decision, it is important to communicate this to the person making the offer. Be specific about what information you need and try to negotiate a timeline for when you will receive it. This will show that you are genuinely interested in the offer and want to make an informed decision.

5. Can I negotiate the terms of the offer during the time I am given to decide?

Yes, you can negotiate the terms of the offer during the time you are given to decide. However, it is important to be respectful and professional in your negotiations. Make sure to clearly communicate your needs and be open to finding a mutually beneficial solution.