1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to turn down an admission offer already accepted

  1. May 12, 2016 #1
    I applied for graduate admission in Canadian universities for fall entry. One of the graduate programs offered me admission in February and furthermore offered me a prestigious scholarship to motivate me to accept the offer of admission. I accepted the offer of admission and the offer of scholarship in February.

    A few days back (early May), I received an offer of admission from another more lucrative graduate program. I would like to accept the new offer and rescind the old offer because the new graduate program has research groups more in line with my own research interests. However, I am uncertain as to how I should reply to the admissions chair of the old graduate program that I want to rescind their offer of admission. It's been nearly three months since I accepted the first offer. What would be the polite way to rescind the offer of admission?

    P.S. A couple of professors from the old graduate program also expressed their interest in supervising me (in February). I told them that I would get back to them soon after but it's been three months and I still haven't replied back to them. Should I also send them an email stating that I rescind the offer of admission?
     
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

    jedishrfu

    Staff: Mentor

    I would talk with your current advisor and/or your schools graduate admissions about the pros/cons, the etiquette and possible side-effects of rescinding the offer.

    Being accepted is a lot like accepting a job offer. Only in the case of the job offer, there is no shame in rejecting it and jumping to a better one. However the downside is that if done too often then you get a reputation of constantly switching jobs that is hard to fix. Also in turning down the original offer you may discover that you can't apply to that company again.

    In one case, I knew a friend who jumped to another company because of better pay but lost his job shortly thereafter when the company was sold and now couldn't get back into his original job because the old company had filled the position and didn't want to hire him back. There are always risks in any decision you make but you need to think through every aspect of it.

    With respect to your current predicament, have you looked at other factors such as living expenses, the surrounding environment, health benefits? Do you know anything about the department is it easy or hard to work there? Have you talked with any of the other graduate students to see what they think? Do they graduate students in a timely fashion?

    Sometimes the first offer may in fact be the better offer even though the money may not be there. Its like the bird in a hand is worth more than two in the bush.
     
  4. May 12, 2016 #3
    Do what is best for you. Those schools have enough money and students where they can get someone else very quickly. The first program you accepted seems like they want you more though.
     
  5. May 12, 2016 #4

    Well, my new graduate program is rankwd much much higher in league tables and does work in my research field of interest. My old graduate program was always my safety school. I know that league tables don't matter in graduate schools but then again my old graduate program does not do the kind of research work that I like. Also, if I leave physics altogether at some point in or after my PhD studies, the ranking might be an important consideration.

    I hope I'm able to reply in the proper way so I don't mess things up.
     
  6. May 12, 2016 #5
    Well, the second program also offered me a bursary, and the money offered by the scholarship from the first program and the bursary from the second program are the same.

    A bursary is less prestigious than a scholarship, but it might be best for me to go with the second program because of the higher ranking in league tables and the alignment with my research interests.
     
  7. May 12, 2016 #6

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    If this were in the US, you would be in big trouble. The Council of Graduate Schools has a universal April 15th deadline, and once that date passes, you are committed. Other schools aren't supposed to enroll you (especially with funding) if you have already committed to a school. There are only a few Canadian schools that are signatories to this, but you should nonetheless carefully read both offers of admission. They may not allow you to do what you are proposing - in the US they would not.

    Don't worry about not "messing things up". Your actions will mess things up. If nothing else, your first school rejected someone that they otherwise would have accepted. There's just no good way to say "I gave you my word, but now that circumstances make it favorable to break it, I am breaking it."
     
  8. May 12, 2016 #7

    Choppy

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Aligning with your research interests is one thing. Ranking doesn't trump a scholarship though. The thing with scholarships, particularly the big ones is that they tend to snowball. It's a big plus to have on your CV if later on you're applying for support for post-doctoral positions.
     
  9. May 12, 2016 #8
    It isn't like schools don't have the resources to replace someone though. A grad student is basically slave labor, so why shouldn't he go where he thinks he will do best? It isn't like the student is a big investment that could hurt the University's bottom line.
     
  10. May 12, 2016 #9
    Good point! :biggrin:
     
  11. May 12, 2016 #10

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    You're letting your bitterness get the better of you. A grad student is a huge commitment on the part of the department. Maybe not so much financially, but in effort and time.

    In any event, it's now the middle of May. Rejection notices have likely been sent; it's too late to say 'We changed our mind and now we want you.'
     
  12. May 12, 2016 #11
    True that!
     
  13. May 12, 2016 #12

    Andy Resnick

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

    I can't speak for other faculty, but my grad students are not 'slave labor'. If anything, they are apprentices requiring a large investment of my time and Department resources. Students are not customers, they are indeed investments.
     
  14. May 12, 2016 #13
  15. May 12, 2016 #14
    But back on topic, do what you want but don't make any rash decisions. I think the first school will be better for you, though.
     
  16. May 12, 2016 #15

    micromass

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

    Any university that treats its grad students as "costumers" and slave labour is somewhere where you need to stay far away from. Usually, the department will put in a lot of resources in the education of its grad students.
     
  17. May 12, 2016 #16
    Is it alright to email my first graduate program to tell him that I can't enrol in his graduate program due to unavoidable circumstances?

    I only want to bring up the issue of an offer from another graduate program only if he asks for further clarification.
     
  18. May 12, 2016 #17

    micromass

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

    Did you read up on the terms of the offer like Vanadium told you?
     
  19. May 12, 2016 #18
    Well, there were no terms - at least the first graduate program did not point out any terms.

    I had to pay an admission deposit, though, to secure my admission offer in the first place.

    But they offered me a very prestigious scholarship and I'm really nervous and afraid of sending an email saying that I rescind the offer.
     
  20. May 12, 2016 #19
    Ill tell you what, it is none of their business for your justification for what you decide to do. This is similar to jobs requiring a 2 weeks notice before you quit. Do companies require two weeks notice before you are fired? Do graduate school require 2 weeks notice to tell you your funding will get dropped? No, of course not, it is a fools game to play. Are they going to arrest you if you decline? No. Can they sue you? No, because what is the difference between you leaving now and you failing out first semester and leaving, or maybe having a kid and having to leave?

    Say something like this:

    "Unfortunately I have some bad news. Due to some unforeseen circumstances I will have to decline the offer I accepted on xx. I appreciate the time and consideration you have given to me, as well the offer and the scholarship I received. However, due to personal obligations I cannot in good faith pursue your program at this time."

    EDIT:
    HOWEVER, please consider your decision carefully. Visit the school before making this choice! Do not be rash, because if you are making the wrong choice now you are double screwed.
     
  21. May 12, 2016 #20
    Thanks for the support. At least in physicsforums, I find a lot of help from you guys on how to tackle difficult issues such as these.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted