Assessment of JETP (Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics)

In summary: The paper is vague because the authors are not very clear about their assumptions and they do not provide much evidence to support their claims.
pdxjjb
On a scale of 1 - 10, where 10 means the journal is peer-reviewed, highly regarded, responsible and influential, and 1 means the journal is self-published junk science ... where does the Russian "Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics" (JETP) lie, in your opinion?

Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
[Why do you want others to give some opinions ...]

Because I didn't know how to ask the question in a better way. Nothing in particular intended. Thanks for your reply.

OK, pdxjjb! It appears to me you can rely on the "peer reviewed" JETP for good science!
Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Then I will take this golden opportunity to get to the point. The following article in JETP:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/rup025083t105q83/

contends that under conditions we can control, the Coulomb barrier will drop away to low levels. This will allow fusion reactions to occur at low temperatures in solid matter. These fusion reactions would include (but not be limited to):

B11 + p => 3He4 + 8.7MeV

and

Ni + p => Cu + neutrino

Ymmv.

Bobbywhy doesn't know what he is talking about. What he wrote is utter nonsense. Even good journals sometimes publish wrong papers or sloppy science. And this is a low-impact factor journal.

I read the article, and am not impressed. It's incomprehensible, and the more important the idea, the more vague it gets, and the authors have an inordinate number of self-cites.

pdxjjb said:
[Why do you want others to give some opinions ...]

Because I didn't know how to ask the question in a better way. Nothing in particular intended. Thanks for your reply.

Vanadium is right, I did not know what I was talking about. After skimming over that article I agree that JTEP publishes junk science.

It would have been less misleading, pdxjjb, to state your intentions and post your article in question in the first place, rather that trolling for the uninformed like myself.

Phew, for a minute there I was thinking I might slip in a LENR posting without a response like that. I"m relieved to see it's still not possible. ;-)

Now wait a minute. I wasn't "trolling for the uninformed." That's an unfair response. I was legitimately asking, is publication in this journal significant? It's reasonable question from a non-scientist; journals vary, and the forum in which an article is published certainly contributes to (or detracts from) its credibility.

Of course I know that good journals sometimes publish bad papers. Yet the question was neither a trap nor unfair. If the initial response had been that this particular journal will publish anything for anybody, as indeed some will, then I would not have followed up with the link, and in that sense, my posting was neither a troll nor a trap.

pdxjjb, Excuse me for jumping to conclusions. Sorry for causing such feelings. I want Physics Forums to be a learning tool, nothing more.

Regards,
Bobbywhy

That's very kind. I am sorry too, I should have found a different way to do this so that nobody got embarrassed. I just didn't want the reply to be "...that journal is cr*p...", I wanted the reply to be about the paper, or not at all.

I understand Vanadium's comments about the self-cites. If it's not too much to ask, what is it about the paper that's "vague"? I can probably manage the "omega-t's" in the later part of the paper, but the QM is way over my head.

1. What is the purpose of assessing the JETP journal?

The purpose of assessing the JETP journal is to evaluate the quality and relevance of the research published in the journal. This helps to determine the impact and significance of the journal in the scientific community.

2. How is the assessment of JETP conducted?

The assessment of JETP is typically conducted by a group of experts in the field of experimental and theoretical physics. They evaluate the articles published in the journal based on their originality, methodology, results, and significance.

3. What criteria are used to assess JETP?

The criteria used to assess JETP include the quality and rigor of the research, the relevance and impact of the results, the clarity and organization of the article, and the adherence to ethical standards and scientific integrity.

4. How often is JETP assessed?

JETP is typically assessed on a regular basis, usually every few years. This allows for a comprehensive evaluation of the journal's performance and impact over time.

5. What are the potential outcomes of the assessment of JETP?

The potential outcomes of the assessment of JETP include recognition and validation of the journal's high-quality research, suggestions for improvement in areas such as editorial policies and procedures, and recommendations for further development and growth of the journal.