Assisstance with electrical diagram

In summary, the conversation involves a small project where the individual encountered trouble with the electrical components. They purchased a 12v reversible DC motor, a potentiometer/PWM controller, and a 12v power supply. The motor can run in either direction depending on how it is wired. When attempting to insert a DPDT toggle switch, the individual connected everything and it worked as expected. However, after some research and testing, they were unable to get the switch to work with the potentiometer. The manufacturer recommended placing the switch on the controller side, not the power supply. The individual then sought help in connecting the switch and was advised to use insulated wire for the cross connections. The final solution involved connecting the controller to the power
rummy98
Hello all, I recently began a small project and ran into some trouble with the electrical components.

I purchased a small 12v reversible DC motor that came with a potentiometer/PWM controller and a 12v power supply. The motor is capable of running in either clockwise or counter clockwise direction depending on how the motor is wired.

My problem comes in when I attempt to insert a DPDT toggle switch to allow for ease of changing direction without having to swap wires. I connected everything, leaving out the switch for now and it all worked as it should, so I know the equipment is not faulty. Here is a diagram of what components I have and what wires are present.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/6310/diagramb.jpg

The manufacturer informed me that the switch needs to go on the controller side, not power. Per shipping directions - To run the motor:
In CW rotation, connect motor's green connector to controller's red connector and
motor's red connector to controller's black connector.
In CCW rotation, connect motor's green connector to controller's black connector and
motor's red connector to controller's red connector.

After some research, I learned to change polarity on a switch I needed to add a jumper from 1-6 and 3-4 (see above diagram), so I did that.

From this point on I did quite a bit of reading before coming here and have tested as many circuit combinations as I can think of but I still cannot get it to work as I would like. Being able to change direction with the switch while still maintaining the ability to control the rate of rotation with the potentiometer.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I have run out of ideas and options. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!
Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Good morning Robert, welcome to Physics Forums.

You have the switch wired correctly, but the cross connections 1-6 and 3-4 must be with insulated wire.

Connect the controller red to 3 and the controller black to 6

Now connect the motor red to 2 and the motor green to 5

If you have already fixed the location of the switch and want the switch positions the other way round then reverse the motor connections.

I have not indicated the power supply to controller connections as you have not shown these fully and the manufacturer is correct, the switch goes between the controller and the motor.

go well

Thank you for the welcome and reply Studiot.

Everything is soldered with insulated wire. I am unsure what else you need to know about the power supply. It is a very simple PS, with only a red and black wire output.

Robert

The manufacturer informed me that the switch needs to go on the controller side, not power. Per shipping directions

This implies to me that you connect the controller to the power unit and the motor to the controller, with an optional switch between the controller and the motor?

PowerUnit > Controller > Switch > Motor

1. What is an electrical diagram?

An electrical diagram, also known as a wiring diagram or circuit diagram, is a visual representation of an electrical circuit. It shows the connections and components of the circuit, including power sources, switches, and loads, and how they are connected.

2. Why is an electrical diagram important?

An electrical diagram is important for several reasons. It helps to visualize and understand the circuit, identify potential issues or errors, and troubleshoot problems. It also serves as a guide for technicians and electricians when installing or repairing electrical systems.

3. What information is included in an electrical diagram?

An electrical diagram typically includes symbols for different components, such as resistors, capacitors, and switches, as well as their connections and the flow of current through the circuit. It may also include labels and values for each component and other relevant information.

4. How do I read an electrical diagram?

Reading an electrical diagram can seem overwhelming at first, but with some knowledge of the symbols and basic principles of electricity, it can be easily understood. Start by identifying the power source and following the flow of current through the circuit. Pay attention to the symbols and their connections, and refer to a key or legend if needed.

5. Can I create my own electrical diagram?

Yes, you can create your own electrical diagram with the help of software programs or by hand. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of electrical principles and symbols to ensure accuracy and safety. It is recommended to consult a professional if you are unsure about creating an electrical diagram on your own.